Patriotism: The United States Is

KellyNicolas
I can’t take my eyes off of the T.V. and yet I keep hearing the same thing. I know what is happening but my brain is stuck on some kind of replay. I was there just yesterday. Me. I was there yesterday, walking around, taking in the scenery, thinking about how I would go to college in the city I love.

The Boston Marathon Bombings hit my home hard. It hit all of the country hard, but knowing that it was so close to me, that I lived right outside the heart of my city, was heart-breaking. I had been at Copley Square the day before, as I had just toured the nearby college, Emerson. I couldn’t imagine being in that situation, it hurt too much. Every time I saw the pictures I just couldn’t take my eyes away.

Days later, there was amazing support from all over the country. Celebrities, sports players, everyday citizens, they were all supporting us. Twitter was blowing up with #bostonstrong everywhere. New York, a rival in almost every sport to Boston’s, was supporting us. They were singing Sweet Caroline at a Yankees game. I will never forget Ben Revere, the one who played on the Phillies, who wrote Pray for Boston on his glove, and made an amazing catch that night. All the survivors, the victim’s close friends and relatives, they were all taken care of.

It made me think how lucky I was to have such a united country. It made me think of how after the Civil War it was no longer the United States are, a country with interdependent states, but rather United States is, a country that no longer seemed separated by state lines. At first it seemed natural, and grammatically correct to say are, but the nationalism we have can do anything. And so, after the war we no longer felt the need to follow proper order, and decided that joining together was much more justified than proper English.

The Boston Marathon may be one example, but it is the most recent one that reminded me that there’s always a helping hand to reach out in time of need. I’m glad I can rely on my country when I can’t erase the memory of those TV images I couldn’t look away from. I’m inspired by our generosity, and helpfulness. I am a United States citizen, a proud one at that.