STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Patriotism: The United States Is

KellyNicolas
I can’t take my eyes off of the T.V. and yet I keep hearing the same thing. I know what is happening but my brain is stuck on some kind of replay. I was there just yesterday. Me. I was there yesterday, walking around, taking in the scenery, thinking about how I would go to college in the city I love.

The Boston Marathon Bombings hit my home hard. It hit all of the country hard, but knowing that it was so close to me, that I lived right outside the heart of my city, was heart-breaking. I had been at Copley Square the day before, as I had just toured the nearby college, Emerson. I couldn’t imagine being in that situation, it hurt too much. Every time I saw the pictures I just couldn’t take my eyes away.

Days later, there was amazing support from all over the country. Celebrities, sports players, everyday citizens, they were all supporting us. Twitter was blowing up with #bostonstrong everywhere. New York, a rival in almost every sport to Boston’s, was supporting us. They were singing Sweet Caroline at a Yankees game. I will never forget Ben Revere, the one who played on the Phillies, who wrote Pray for Boston on his glove, and made an amazing catch that night. All the survivors, the victim’s close friends and relatives, they were all taken care of.

It made me think how lucky I was to have such a united country. It made me think of how after the Civil War it was no longer the United States are, a country with interdependent states, but rather United States is, a country that no longer seemed separated by state lines. At first it seemed natural, and grammatically correct to say are, but the nationalism we have can do anything. And so, after the war we no longer felt the need to follow proper order, and decided that joining together was much more justified than proper English.

The Boston Marathon may be one example, but it is the most recent one that reminded me that there’s always a helping hand to reach out in time of need. I’m glad I can rely on my country when I can’t erase the memory of those TV images I couldn’t look away from. I’m inspired by our generosity, and helpfulness. I am a United States citizen, a proud one at that.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy