Patriotism: One Nation With Flaws

KellyNicolas
If it were any contest, we’d say we were winning. As a country we have the most self-confidence out of any other countries. We look at everyone else, and almost pat them on the head like a little child. We were ‘meant’ to take care of everyone else, per manifest destiny and all. Our mission: To remake the world like us. And yet, we never really took a step back.

Patriotism is something that has long made us who we are. When people think the United States, they think of the united part. They think of how strong we are when we come together. They appreciate us in that way. However, when have we ever looked at a country and admired something of theirs without being in their business? Let’s face it, Latin America didn’t like it when we stepped in, so that should’ve given us a hint that being a police officer for the world wasn't well recieved. There are times and places for helping out. We probably should’ve stepped in earlier in World War Two; though being in the First World War scared us enough. The point is that we took it a little too far. We got a little too in our heads.

Now, I’m just a seventeen year old girl who takes in what she sees, hears, and reads. I may be wrong, but I have an opinion, and that is what is so great about this country. I can voice that opinion. So while I rant on about our flaws, I do know that I am very thankful to be in a free country. That is why others come to this country, in search for freedom. Whether it is to speak their voice, or to obtain a job, they are here because we are the land of opportunity. I like to emphasize the unity in that because we are a supporting country; a little bit too much, sometimes.

I say we because I know that I can get caught up in our nationalism. It still amazes me how we can set aside everything and just be a unified country. But recently, I’ve taken that step back. I’ve realized that not everything about our country is amazing. We have a lot to work on. We need to know when to pick our battles. We need to remember what we first started fighting for: freedom from oppression. The British were holding us back from being a country. Maybe we’re oppressing people too, maybe we’re policing too much, and maybe, just maybe, we’re wrong.

I think of all the people who’ve died for us, of all the brave soldiers and citizens, and it makes my heart swell. I love my country, but I also love my country for its flaws and all. It’s just like meeting someone and realizing you love them even though they aren’t perfect. Yes, the old cliché is right. Nobody, no country for that matter, is perfect.