Patriotism: Knowing the Past and Believing in the Future

Aravis54
My dictionary defines patriotism as love and devotion to your country. Some could argue that there is more to patriotism than just loving your country but I must say that I think the dictionary's explanation sums it up very well.
If you love someone, really and truly love someone, than you will do what you think is the very best for him.
And as for devotion, well, it's much the same as with a person as it is to your country. I have a twin and I love her more than I can say; I show that love not by leaving when she's having a hard time doing something, but by staying, showing devotion to her.

Benjamin Rush, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, Doctor and political geniuses, said, “Patriotism is as much a virtue as justice, and is as necessary for the support of societies as natural affection is for the support of families.”

There are days when I think, 'boy this country isn't like it was back in the good old days', But really! could there be a worst way to look at it?
If I wanted things like they were back in 'the good old days' I guess I wouldn't have any teeth.
Things change. Change is hard for most people; I know it's heard for me. And sometimes things really don't need to change, sometimes they really were better before and I can't help but getting a little worried as our government changes things. I wonder if my children will get to enjoy the same American I have enjoyed, but I keep loving it and believing the future can be as good as the past if we will only keep fighting for what other men and women have have died for: freedom.

I don't love the colors red, white and blue because they are a pretty color combination. No, I learned to love them while reading a story about a man named Francis Scott Key who waited through the night of a battle to see that his country's flag was still flying and with the joy of seeing it still flying he wrote an amazing song. He loved and was devoted to his country.

I have a copy of the Declaration of Independence hanging over my bed because I love this country for all it's up and downs. I love what the past generations have done for us and I pray that we will leave the same great things of this country for the future generations to love.