Patriotism : America the Privileged

amacisaac
The United States of America is a melting pot of immigrants. But is it possible for people not born in this country to feel patriotic and to truly love America as I do or any other natural-born citizen does? Well, to truly love one’s country, one must be proud of their country. This pride begins with one word: understanding. A true understanding of the privileges American citizens have – such as voting, fair trials and freedom of speech - and the struggles endured fighting for these privileges make most U.S. citizens proud. I say privileges rather than rights because these common-place privileges that Americans enjoy are not enjoyed in other countries around the world – the very same countries that many immigrants hail from. Americans can be proud of visionaries like Martin Luther King Jr. and Susan B. Anthony who worked tirelessly for the development of an equal American society. Also Americans can be proud of their fellow citizens who have lost their lives in wars fighting to bring some of the privileges like democracy and free elections overseas. Loving a country is much easier to say than to do. Yet if we Americans are grateful for the many advantages that we have like freedom and equality, we should show love for our country, especially with the knowledge that so many people around the world would give everything to have the same opportunities at their disposal.
I am proud of my country for numerous reasons. First, I am proud of a country that allow a regular person speak their mind and have their voice heard, regardless of their social class. Second, I am proud of a country that treats all people equally and with the respect and dignity that every human being deserves. Third, I am proud to call myself an American. Americans are respected and loved worldwide due to the charitable efforts of our government in times of world crises and natural disasters like the earthquake in Haiti and the tsunamis in Japan. I am proud to live in a country where a person can receive a college education regardless of their life circumstances if they are willing to work hard enough to earn it. But most of all, I am proud to live in a country where its citizens have the rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. The knowledge and appreciation of what America stands for and what Americans believe in is available to all people regardless of their place or birth. Therefore, I believe that a person not born in this country can be patriotic and truly love America if they understand her unique history and are proud of the many privileges she bestows on her citizens.