STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Patriotism : America the Privileged

amacisaac
The United States of America is a melting pot of immigrants. But is it possible for people not born in this country to feel patriotic and to truly love America as I do or any other natural-born citizen does? Well, to truly love one’s country, one must be proud of their country. This pride begins with one word: understanding. A true understanding of the privileges American citizens have – such as voting, fair trials and freedom of speech - and the struggles endured fighting for these privileges make most U.S. citizens proud. I say privileges rather than rights because these common-place privileges that Americans enjoy are not enjoyed in other countries around the world – the very same countries that many immigrants hail from. Americans can be proud of visionaries like Martin Luther King Jr. and Susan B. Anthony who worked tirelessly for the development of an equal American society. Also Americans can be proud of their fellow citizens who have lost their lives in wars fighting to bring some of the privileges like democracy and free elections overseas. Loving a country is much easier to say than to do. Yet if we Americans are grateful for the many advantages that we have like freedom and equality, we should show love for our country, especially with the knowledge that so many people around the world would give everything to have the same opportunities at their disposal.
I am proud of my country for numerous reasons. First, I am proud of a country that allow a regular person speak their mind and have their voice heard, regardless of their social class. Second, I am proud of a country that treats all people equally and with the respect and dignity that every human being deserves. Third, I am proud to call myself an American. Americans are respected and loved worldwide due to the charitable efforts of our government in times of world crises and natural disasters like the earthquake in Haiti and the tsunamis in Japan. I am proud to live in a country where a person can receive a college education regardless of their life circumstances if they are willing to work hard enough to earn it. But most of all, I am proud to live in a country where its citizens have the rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. The knowledge and appreciation of what America stands for and what Americans believe in is available to all people regardless of their place or birth. Therefore, I believe that a person not born in this country can be patriotic and truly love America if they understand her unique history and are proud of the many privileges she bestows on her citizens.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy