Patriotism: How True Is It?

IvyWoo
Everyone alleges to loving our country and devoting themselves to the United States of America. However, how many times have you told someone you loved them or received a gift you claimed you loved and realized you don’t care that much about the object of your so-called affection? It has become nature for us to toss around the word love. What really makes us love our country?
We must first understand how truly blessed we are and realize just how much we should appreciate our country. Most U.S. citizens cannot wait to contribute their two cents to any conversation around. You cannot do that in Libya. Equatorial Guinea? No. North Korea? If you say one thing that’s not been chewed up and spit out by the government you might as well release the guillotine blade yourself. A good portion of Americans attend church or some variation of religious service. Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Burma? Forget it. Those three countries are Tier One countries and are listed as “Countries of Particular Concern”. Nevertheless, in the blessed U.S.A., you are safe to do as you wish without having the government tie your hands behind your back and blindfold you.
“We the people, of the United States of America…” This country is and has always been about the people. Therefore, it is up to the people to make this country great; yet, it comes with a price tag, as does everything. My father always told me, “Love is spelled T-I-M-E.” If we want to love our country we must invest our time into it. Perhaps, that is why it seems that military personnel have a deeper and more meaningful love for their homeland. They have spent hundreds and thousands of hours of their lives working to make their country a better place. Maybe, just maybe, if we spent a little more time trying to patch up the nation’s flaws, we could be living a full life instead of an empty promise of devotion.
Being patriotic is much more than a recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance or the hanging of a red, white, and blue flag out on the front porch on the fourth of July. Being patriotic means devoting time and effort to your country and truly appreciating the home you have. It means finally putting meaning behind the word love. Have a deep and burning passion to make this country the kind of nation you want your kids to grow up in. First we develop a true love for and deep devotion to our country and prove our words through our actions. Then, we might be able to label ourselves patriots.