Patriotism: Undying Love and Appreciation for the Foundation of This Great Nation

aeskind
Patriotism, or honoring and loving one’s country, is a concept that predates the independent nation of America but has held strong from colonial times to the present. Patriotism is ever abundant in this century, as events like 9/11, Hurricane Katrina, and the Boston Marathon bombings most recently have caused Americans across this expansive territory to come together as a united group, the United States. Having love for one’s country doesn’t necessarily commit that person to love all that his or her country does, but rather love what his or her country stands for. I consider myself a patriot, as I love this great nation, its people, and its pillars of justice and democracy, however I do not love everything about this country, and I believe that having an opinion on the actions of my leaders and country as a whole is within itself patriotic, as I am using my rights given to me by my forefathers to formulate my own opinion, something America as a nation prides itself on allowing its citizens to do. I love my country unconditionally, and I try to appreciate all it has to offer as well as engage myself in helping this nation grow, but I cannot support America at all times, which is the difference between patriotism and mindless patriotism.
I do not support the war in Iraq, nor do I support the continual nature of the war in Afghanistan. I do not like the way Washington has become a bastion of partisanship and power seeking above what is best for the nation. I do not like the media in our country, itself extremely partisan and spinning every political news story to the point where facts are hard to discern. And I do not like how obese the citizens of this nation are becoming. But I love my country. I love my countries military, though I do not support the causes in which it is currently engaged. Once a month I go to the Veterans’ hospital and give cards to the veterans there and thank them for their service, a program I started at my school. I follow politics and watch the news, and though it often frustrates me, I still follow it because I think it is important to exercise my right to be an active citizen. I’m proud that I am able to begin this paragraph the way I did, as people in many nations would not be allowed to do so. I am proud of many people in this country, as America is the home of the single mother working two jobs to feed her kids, the home of the director of military intelligence of the Marines, who moved from Jamaica to Chicago when he was twelve and grew up with nothing, the home of opportunity, the home of the brave.