Summer Reinvention: To Become a River Rock

LuckyStar101
“So what are you thinking of doing this summer?” Louisa asks.

You’re laying glass shards around me that I’m supposed to tiptoe over, Louisa. You don’t expect an honest answer because you think that I, like all my friends, am a master at delicate footwork but you ask anyways because you’re hoping that I’d slip just this once.

It’s pathetic. My classmates feel discomfort when somebody else is better than them. They treat their tutoring places like secret keys; if they share them, I’ll get into an Ivy League school instead of them. I wonder if they’ll realize one day that the pool of applicants is wide and the competition stretches far beyond the tightly knit social circle of this school.

So what am I thinking of doing this summer? I didn’t apply for any Ivy League summer camp- and no, I’m not lying. I love music, I have a shallow passion for cottontails, my bookshelf is filled with half-read books, I have a doctor’s handwriting and just recently, I’ve become a total health nut. Unfortunately, I cannot pinpoint my other character traits. I always thought that if I was a storybook character, I would be the prime example of poor characterization because I don’t make sense.

Recently, I’ve come to terms with myself. Despite all the lecturers saying I need to show a clear passion, I can’t cut off any part of myself to fit the mould. Though I’m confused now, I cling to the hope that if I continue to act as I am, everything will eventually make sense.

Recently, I’ve been reading. I’ve started with The Charisma Myth. It fills my head with silly imaginings of the person I wish I could become but it also drags me down to Earth because it reminds me that knowledge is power. The tips it contains are tricks to be learned, not significant character shifts.

Here’s my summer plan: immerse myself in my community. I’m going to practise piano, read the books on my bookshelf, volunteer at a Robotics camp, walk around the park, and write in my notebook no matter how much it pains me to see my messy handwriting. A part of my mind runs wild on thinking of the amazing person I’ll be after this summer and I give it free reign to do that because who am I to stamp out any form of creativity? Besides, I know that I definitely won’t notice any changes. My teacher tells me that we are all river rocks and the smooth ones are beautiful because the water has run over them so many times. I admire him greatly; I feel like I learn something about myself every time we talk. People, places and books are the water that turns us into those river rocks. This summer, I will submerge myself in the river and I will do that for myself, not for admissions offices because I owe it to myself to become the best person I can be.

Simply beautiful. I loved your essay. You are an incredible writer, and I hope you continue to submit your river rock thoughts to our website. The world needs to hear your voice more.

Stageoflife Co-founder
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2013 3:41:23 PM
Comment by Inspired

This essay is both incredibly well-written and very deep. You definitely deserve first place. Congratulations!!
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2013 4:48:25 PM