Trust and Safety: Bertie Early College High School

khalia.boone
“Trust and Safety: Bertie Early College High School”

I am a student enrolled in Bertie Early College High School and I don’t feel safe. This school is in one of the poorest counties in N.C. I think there are improvements that should be made. Bertie Early College High School (BECHS) should have a better security system, stable teachers, and an escape plan.
The school is in need of a security system. If someone comes on the campus and no one knows him, the school has no knowledge of knowing he is there. This is a good example of why we need security cameras in the school. If we have security cameras the school can be notified earlier before a problem occurs. This could save future lives from being exposed to a dangerous environment.
This school needs stable teachers. BECHS is known for having new teachers and administrators every year. A stable teacher has everything to do with a stable environment. The teachers are the ones that stay with your child all the hours of the day. If the school has no stable teachers, the school has no stable environment. Without stability no one is safe. A stable environment should be the number one thing at school. No one is going to send their child to somewhere unsafe and harmful.
If there is a school fire or burglary how will we get out? I know that the school has an escape plan but I have no knowledge of what to do when danger comes. None of the students has had any practice dealing with this escape plan. This is important to me because I do not want to be unsafe. For example, if a student comes to school with a gun and shoots someone, how will the students get out? The students have no way of getting out of harm’s way.
I want to be in a safe school. School is the place where we spend the most time. Who wants to be somewhere unsafe? Most people don’t. Bertie Early College High School is in need of security enforcement, stable teachers, and student’s knowledge of an escape plan.