Trust and Safety: The Yellow Tombstone

ceballance96
School buses are the main source of transportation to many public school students. However, many people seem to overlook the dangers of the school bus. There are so many dangers lurking the aisles of public transport. For example, I remember, as a kindergartener, how I was constantly bullied and picked on by the older children that rode the bus. Many of them would pick at the size of my head and when I was asleep they would put paper in my mouth. There was even once a time where I almost choked. I would get on the bus in fear; unaware of the hazards that were upon me. It was something that no young child should ever have to go through. Now I know what you’re probably thinking. Where was the bus driver in all of this? Well, this would show another great danger on the school bus; a careless bus driver. Many times you find bus drivers who do not really have any type of concern for the children on the bus. However, when something on the bus goes wrong they expect the children to be silent and not to say anything about the matter. For instance, I was on the bus and we were heading home. All of a sudden, my bus driver hit a bicyclist and he was in critical condition. The bust driver told us that if we reported what happen to our parents that we would go to jail with her. We were all elementary school students. I believe that a bus driver is paid for more than just transporting students to and from school. They are expected to ensure the security and the protection of every child on the bus. The bus driver is responsible for the child from the time they board the bus until the time they’re get off their destination. Lastly, buses are unsafe due to the disruptive noises. The bus driver needs to have full and complete focus on the road to avoid any accidents or other hazardous matters. I feel it is okay to talk a little but not excessively and loudly. These are some of the unsafe matters of the yellow tombstone. You may get on but you may not get off.

Unfortunate truth to this...good subject. This is definitely a concern as I watched things happen with my son when he was younger, riding the 'yellow tombstone'. Good writing, and sorry for your unfortunate situation....I can sympathize!
Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 8:27:48 AM

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Trust and Safety writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensTrustandSafety.aspx

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 2:53:17 PM