STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Trust and Safety: The Yellow Tombstone

ceballance96
School buses are the main source of transportation to many public school students. However, many people seem to overlook the dangers of the school bus. There are so many dangers lurking the aisles of public transport. For example, I remember, as a kindergartener, how I was constantly bullied and picked on by the older children that rode the bus. Many of them would pick at the size of my head and when I was asleep they would put paper in my mouth. There was even once a time where I almost choked. I would get on the bus in fear; unaware of the hazards that were upon me. It was something that no young child should ever have to go through. Now I know what you’re probably thinking. Where was the bus driver in all of this? Well, this would show another great danger on the school bus; a careless bus driver. Many times you find bus drivers who do not really have any type of concern for the children on the bus. However, when something on the bus goes wrong they expect the children to be silent and not to say anything about the matter. For instance, I was on the bus and we were heading home. All of a sudden, my bus driver hit a bicyclist and he was in critical condition. The bust driver told us that if we reported what happen to our parents that we would go to jail with her. We were all elementary school students. I believe that a bus driver is paid for more than just transporting students to and from school. They are expected to ensure the security and the protection of every child on the bus. The bus driver is responsible for the child from the time they board the bus until the time they’re get off their destination. Lastly, buses are unsafe due to the disruptive noises. The bus driver needs to have full and complete focus on the road to avoid any accidents or other hazardous matters. I feel it is okay to talk a little but not excessively and loudly. These are some of the unsafe matters of the yellow tombstone. You may get on but you may not get off.
Rate this:
Comment by DarkStar49

Unfortunate truth to this...good subject. This is definitely a concern as I watched things happen with my son when he was younger, riding the 'yellow tombstone'. Good writing, and sorry for your unfortunate situation....I can sympathize!
Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 8:27:48 AM
Rate this:
Comment by mcoly618

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Trust and Safety writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

Here's the link to the contest summary page. We'll be formally announcing the winner soon.
http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensTrustandSafety.aspx

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Congrats again. We look forward to seeing more of your essays/writing on StageofLife.com. Thanks for helping us in our mission of creating the world's largest pool of cross-generational stories.
Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 2:53:17 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy