Trust and Safety: The Inner Protection

scheppersk
Kalli Scheppers
Ms. Pinter
5th hour
The Inner Protection
My spine shivered with chills as I was sitting in the auditorium trying to hold back the tears from bucketing from my eyes. I felt very petrified as the heartbreaking presentation was playing. My friend next to me was already weeping. The presentation was about the Columbine shootings and just how scary and factual a school shooting can be. The two boys appeared just fine with smiles painted on there faces, little did they know the boys were two crazy psychotic kids. Everyone thought they were nice guys until they walked right into there school and started shooting students randomly. The Columbine shootings were one of the biggest school shootings in history. Ever since then, school shootings would become almost a typical thing, especially in the last couple of years. It’s actually a very daunting thing to think about if you’re a student in school. It really makes you wonder, is my school out of harm's way?
“Teachers, please keep your students in your room until further notice.” These are the words I hear during our once-a-year lock down at my high school. The police dogs come in and check the school and our cars for any narcotics. This is also the same drill we would do if shooter brings a gun to school. It all begins with the email from the principal of the school a few days before we have the lock down. This is just to give them a heads up that a lock down is coming. We have to sit in our desks and no one can go to the bathroom or leave the room for any other reason. But the question is what if someone was in the bathroom and got locked out? What would the school do if the shooter was walking around and the student was using the restroom? If you ask the school, they have no answer. It makes you feel safe, doesn’t it?
A shooter could openly just walk into our school if they really sought to. For instance, I work in the business office and all I do is flip the switch back and forth to let visitors and students in. Where is my safety in the condition? The front doors to our innovative school are filled with windows and the doors are unlocked so all they need to do is just walk in and then shoot me. It would be that easy. Even if a shooter did come in we have no fortification at this school except locked doors. Sure, our guests do have to sign in, but they could effortlessly just lie about going to the principal’s office and have a gun in their bag turning our school into complete pandemonium.
The world today is an unpredictable. At any moment something extremely terrorizing can happen even in a place that is “suppose” to be safe. In fact, did you know that one in every one thousand people is a psychopath? That statistic really frightens me considering that my school consists of just about one thousand kids. It’s weird to think that a psychopath could be standing right next to me when I’m walking through the halls. The question is, are kids really safe at school and are schools considering the facts that they need to? I don’t actually think they are because someone could walk in those doors and start a shooting extravaganza. I just feel that my school is not safe because you never know when that quite kid in the corner shows his true colors and starts doing what he’s thinking.