Trust and Safety: In homes

J.R.C.baby(:
Drug and alcohol use and abuse causes problems with safety in the homes. When a parent or family member is addicted to drugs, or alcohol it can tear a family apart, and make children not safe in their own home. When somebody is drunk or high they don’t have a complete thought, or know what they are about to do; which puts children in danger.
People these days have no idea who they are putting in danger when they take that first sip of beer or liquor, or that first hit of marijuana, heroin, etc. They are putting family members, friends and innocent people in danger when they do these terrible things. I hate for these children to see the people they look up to doing illegal substances or getting drunk, because little kids look up to older people, and watch every move they make. If they see their parents, or siblings doing drugs or drinking; chances are they are going to grow up and do the same.
My own personal experience, I know what it’s like to watch family members drink, and do drugs. I know what it’s like to have the police in your drive way at 3 A.M. to arrest your cousin that has gotten high off marijuana, got drunk and then stole some body’s car and wrecked it, and he didn’t have a license. I have had cops in my drive way all times of the night not just for my cousin, but for other family members as well for drugs and alcohol. I know what it is like to be the little kid watching the people you looked up to doing these things. I can honestly say I have never done drugs or been drunk, and I never will.
I’m not saying that this is how all households are, but I know there are too many households that are like that. Approximately 14 million people in the United States are addicted to alcohol or abuse alcohol. People every day are killed by drugs and alcohol, and kids are being influenced to do drugs and alcohol. I wonder what will happen to these little kids that have watched family members do illegal substances, and drink alcohol.
I think in this day in time, teenagers are what hold the future, and we need to take a stand. I know some people don’t know how to handle things like this, but others do and they should stand up for what is right. Teenagers should look out for the generation coming up after us, and help out the ones that are doing drugs and alcohol. Some people aren’t going to stand up for what is right because they are scared of what people will think of them, but what they don’t know is they will be helping out the world in so many ways. Take a stand, be different, do what’s right!

Nice job! I think that the best testimonial is to learn from the mistakes of others! Your head is on the right track and your thoughts and ideas on que. Do something with it! This mindset can change the future.
Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 7:57:34 AM

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Trust and Safety writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensTrustandSafety.aspx

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 2:49:37 PM