Trust and Safety: School: A Danger Zone

ctlangdale13
“Trust and Safety: School; a Danger Zone”

What is school really? Is it a learning environment or a danger zone? Many people think school is where they can go or send their kids to be safe. But, actually, school can be extremely dangerous. From drugs to violence, school isn’t all that safe. Sure we all need our education. But, we should be able to learn without the fear of being harmed in the process. Serious repercussions need to be put into place for school to be safer.
Some of the modern schools have more security measures such as security cameras and resource officers. But, the older schools security measures are slim-to-none. Most of them have either a resource officer and no cameras or no security at all. My school, Bertie Early College High School, is located on an older campus. We have no security cameras and every once in a while I will see a resource officer. If you ask me, this school doesn’t seem very safe.
I would love to go to school just one day and not have to worry about drugs or violence. In the school year of 2010-2011, we had a drug search several times because kids decided to bring their drugs to school. They never thought they would get caught but they did. Their stupid actions had the whole school punished. They got searched several times and so did the rest of the students. There were several fights in that same year as well. I was not involved with any of them but some of my friends were. School should be a place where my friends and I can go to have feeling of safety.
In conclusion, school is more than just a learning environment. It’s a danger zone as well. With the low security, drugs, and violence, school can be one of the most dangerous places you can go. Parents send their kids expecting them to learn and be safe. They don’t expect their kids to get hurt though.