STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Trust and Safety: Hometown

smile12
When starting a family people usually want to live in a small community because it’s like a haven. I assume my parents had good intensions of raising me and my siblings in a small town. Growing up I would play outside alone walk to the park not far from home. What could happen I mean it is a public park so it should be safe right? Now as I am older I realize and see how dangerous a small town can be.

I’ve had encountered situations where I didn’t feel safe. I was at the gas station and as I was about to pay a drunken homeless person busted out in rage. Yelling foul words that at first I thought were directed at me because of his word choice. Astonishingly I realized that he just had a bad use of vocabulary and was yelling at a random man threatening to beat him up for no apparent reason. I didn’t know weather to call the police or if it was the workers job to do so. I was in shock that I stood there clueless and wondering where are the cops. You see these situations in movies and expect it in big cities but in a town this small were you know everyone so well, I didn’t think I would encounter a situation quit like this. I wasn’t the only bewildered person there I felt like the workers there didn’t know what to do besides saying “you need to leave”. Shouldn’t police officers inform them what to do if others are in the store or of the situation in general? They never asked me if I was okay they didn’t offer to walk me to my car since the guy was out there. Circumstances like this make me feel fearful that I could be stuck in another situation like this.

You walk the sidewalks in fear. You hear about shootings rite by our schools, drug deals, fights, parties from your peers but nothing of the cops did this and this and stopped it. Where are all the cops stopping this? Instead of working on trying to fix the big problems there giving teens tickets for curfews or to many people in one car. Yes I agree that may play a part in other situations but while there preoccupied with that something with greater threat is going on. We have class discussions where students say “The police are too scared to do anything” if there to scared how are we suppose to feel safe. Isn’t the street fighting and catching drug deals and getting zany homeless people off the streets more significant. Why would situations like this make me feel secure? Why would we find town cops dependable to keep us out of dangerous situations? So I believe that the government doesn’t do its job in securing us. Law enforcement should work harder to stop crimes and complete there job title of “Serve and Protect” to have my home town a haven.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy