Trust and Safety: Hometown

smile12
When starting a family people usually want to live in a small community because it’s like a haven. I assume my parents had good intensions of raising me and my siblings in a small town. Growing up I would play outside alone walk to the park not far from home. What could happen I mean it is a public park so it should be safe right? Now as I am older I realize and see how dangerous a small town can be.

I’ve had encountered situations where I didn’t feel safe. I was at the gas station and as I was about to pay a drunken homeless person busted out in rage. Yelling foul words that at first I thought were directed at me because of his word choice. Astonishingly I realized that he just had a bad use of vocabulary and was yelling at a random man threatening to beat him up for no apparent reason. I didn’t know weather to call the police or if it was the workers job to do so. I was in shock that I stood there clueless and wondering where are the cops. You see these situations in movies and expect it in big cities but in a town this small were you know everyone so well, I didn’t think I would encounter a situation quit like this. I wasn’t the only bewildered person there I felt like the workers there didn’t know what to do besides saying “you need to leave”. Shouldn’t police officers inform them what to do if others are in the store or of the situation in general? They never asked me if I was okay they didn’t offer to walk me to my car since the guy was out there. Circumstances like this make me feel fearful that I could be stuck in another situation like this.

You walk the sidewalks in fear. You hear about shootings rite by our schools, drug deals, fights, parties from your peers but nothing of the cops did this and this and stopped it. Where are all the cops stopping this? Instead of working on trying to fix the big problems there giving teens tickets for curfews or to many people in one car. Yes I agree that may play a part in other situations but while there preoccupied with that something with greater threat is going on. We have class discussions where students say “The police are too scared to do anything” if there to scared how are we suppose to feel safe. Isn’t the street fighting and catching drug deals and getting zany homeless people off the streets more significant. Why would situations like this make me feel secure? Why would we find town cops dependable to keep us out of dangerous situations? So I believe that the government doesn’t do its job in securing us. Law enforcement should work harder to stop crimes and complete there job title of “Serve and Protect” to have my home town a haven.