Trust and Safety: An Issue Of The Individual Perspective

angecarv95
Personal & national security is a big issue the world of today has to face. Before the late 1900's, sure there were wars, robberies, and disagreements between countries; but with the rise of the media, and technology advancing faster than it has ever before in history, things have gotten a lot worse. Many powerful weapons have been developed in the last century or so, and more and more people are gaining access to them. In addition to this,there has been a very significant rise in the human population, which means there are more people to cause arguments and conflicts between themselves. As with the advancing of technology, with things such as mobile phones and the internet; our youth today are more vulnerable than ever. They're being exposed to a huge range of content including explicit/disturbing images and articles all due to the fact the internet is accessible to everyone and anyone. Our youth of today quite possibly have life harder than any previous generations have ever had.

Now as for myself, being from Australia; school shootings are something unheard of. Direct bullying is something teacher's almost never allow to happen. Predators do exist, just not in this country. Terrorism is like dying from starvation; we know it happens, but just not here. I suppose you could label us as an ignorant nation, which we are in a sense; but not entirely.

We aware these things can, and do happen; but as a whole we put a lot of trust in our government and local security to keep us away from harm. I feel I'm lucky blessed to live in such a wonderful country, and can only hope others will someday soon be able to feel the same way about theirs.

Angelica Carvajal