Trust and Safety: Schools

herrerav
There I am sitting in a cold, hard desk; gazing at the beauty of nature through the window blocking out Mrs. Parker completely. All I see are the tree branches swaying back-and-forth with such grace as the sun shone as bright as a yellow sunflower. I snapped back into reality when the announcements came on telling all of faculty not to let anyone come out of the classroom for any reason what so ever. That is when we were officially under our first real lockdown.

All schools have some sort of course of action that will try and prevent someone getting hurt during a shooting, fire, or tornado. But do you actually feel like this procedure will keep you safe? Some say that they don’t feel safe and some say they do. I know that at my own school and at other schools too, they do everything possible for the kids at school to be secure and that is what makes me feel safe there. Some schools have different aspects throughout the school to make you feel safe such as locks on the doors and windows. These features won’t protect you completely but they will do some good for you.

Drills also serve as a form of feeling safe. Some of you may not think so but it really is because it gives not only you but your teachers practice for the real scenario. It shows you where to go and how to react if something like that ever did happen. If you never had practice with it you would panic and it would make it grueling for you and the teacher to get out or to stay where you need to be quicker. If you know where you will be at during a horrible situation like that it makes you feel safer because the teacher might explain why it is safe and then it will make more sense.

Schools really try to make everything possible to make things safe for you. Teachers know what they should do to keep you feeling secure and yes there are more precautions to make you feel safer but schools do what they can with the money they have.