Trust and Safety: What it really means?

Hj.Jasmine
To this day everyone’s definition of safety is entirely based on most of their feelings towards their own life or places that they feel safe at. The dictionary definition is that it’s the state of being certain that adverse affects will not be caused by some agent under defined conditions. Trust is also a word that as humans have a hard time finding its true meaning, to many people it means to rely a piece of want you want to be protected in people. As we are people the definition of trust is shredded into pieces and only the real definition from the dictionary states the true meaning of trust, the trait of believing in the honesty and reliability of others.
In my generation and the ones before mine it seems to that our school environment safety today has been in a questionable jeopardy since the first day of their school year. The Columbine shooting may not have been in the year of my generation when we began to start school, but its impact on the world brought us to learn about that one fatal day. I have felt that our safety in school has not been what it actually should be since that day. Every day as I walked down my High School halls I can't help, but wonder how many of these teenage people that I know will see any violence in their life or never see peace in their days. Our school may be small, but the way everyone in the world hides themselves from others you got to wonder what they may be thinking about their future.
In the world our government says that we have a great national security, but I beg to say that they are wrong. “Let every eye negotiate for itself and trust no agent.” A quote by William Shakespeare is what I understand as the best way to go about your life. It means that you should just trust yourself to do the right thing, but not to trust any other type of agent like your government. To this day I hate to say this against my own government, but after 9/11 I question if our government has a chance to protect us not only from ourselves but from others who don’t want like us to intervene. From the first day that our government has been in power I think that it has been corrupted and how can you proclaim safety to people if your own safety is jeopardized? How can you have people trust in you when you barely can trust in other people in the world?

(This is my own opinion)