Trust and Safety: I'll say

suzubelle
Ask me if I feel safe at home, I'll say absolutely. I'm living on a dirt country road, surronded by forest and farmland. Ask me if I feel I feel safe inside my country's borders,I'll say of course. I know that there would ships, planes, and God only knows what to protect our freedom and our rights. Ask me if I feel safe inside at school, I'll ask, "Can I get back to you on that one?"
It's not that I don't feel safe at school, I do. I know if, God forbid, someone goes postal and comes into the school, I know that there are teachers and staff that will be there to protect us. Even if the force form the inside, they would still be there. I'm just wondering if they would protect if the threat wasn't schoolwide but just one me. If someone was hurting me without raising a finger, would they still protect me.
I moved to my new school district from a really bad neighboorhood. I used to have a bully a year. My first year here,that number multiplied. This was a small town, I was the stranger. The second year in my new district was the first I could decide to be in band and choir. I wanted to be a trumpet player, so the choice was obivious. Right away, a boy who bullied me past continued to tease me about my last name and another boy started to make sexual related comments. Before progess reports were out, I became a soprano.
I began to like graphic novels and Japanese animation, English dubbed of course, which made me even more of an outsider. People kept picking on me for that and other reasons. I never thought that a small country town could be worse that the bad side of the city. They would be insulting me, but when the teacher would ask, they would just say ‘we’ were just messing around. They never asked me how I felt. Tears might have not fallen, but I was crying on the inside.
This year there was a boy who went above and beyond my qouta of a bully, when he started calling me the most sexual and offensive I ever heard. He would do it right there in front of everyone, and say it without the least bit of shame. My classmates called it messing around and would laugh, my theacher would just ignore it, I would just slam my head on desk, wishing I could just disappear. He did stop, but only when he moved.
Ask me if I feel safe at home, I'll say absolutely. I'm living on a dirt country road, surronded by forest and farmland. Ask me if I feel I feel safe inside my country's borders,I'll say of course. I know that there would ships, planes, and God only knows what to protect our freedom and our rights. Ask me if I feel safe inside at school, I would say never.

You have a positive way of making your point! I am so sorry about the bullying. Mean people suck! And unfortunately, no matter how old you are you will find they exist and rear their ugly heads from time to time. However, I have always believed that their insensitivity stems from their own inadequacy which sadly may be no necessary fault of their own. Two proverbs come to mind: "Forgive them as they know not what they do." And, "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!" Even the bad things build character and make us who we are! Keep up the good work with your life, and great writing!
Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 8:17:54 AM

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Trust and Safety writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensTrustandSafety.aspx

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 2:52:36 PM