Trust and Safety: Are you always safe?

allypalardy
By: Alyssa Palardy

I am the girl you see studying in the cafeteria, but is to shy to talk. People ask People ask if I feel safe at home or at school. My answer is a simple “no.” Why would I say that you may ask? Well, let me tell you what happened to some of the closest people that were in my life at one point.
I have a friend named Lee-Anne, who was adopted into my family about two months ago. Lee-Anne’s mom did drugs and her dad drank a lot. So, her parents always got into fist fights and verbal fights on a daily basis. Each night, the fighting got worse, which caused Lee-Anne to hide in her bedroom under her bed.
One day, the fighting took a whole new break on Lee-Anne’s life. She heard glass break and went to go see what happened. She walked up the stairs and stood still when she saw her father laying in a pool of blood with glass all around him. Then, her mother grabbed a .38 pistol revolver, put the tip in her mouth, and pulled the trigger. Lee-Anne fell to her knees and cried before she called 911.
We took her in after the accident. Now, Lee-Anne goes to therapy to help her with her problems. She told her therapist she was raped by her father, which is why she is now pregnant. I feel so bad for her, looking into her child’s face and thinking about all the pain she was in, doesn’t seem fair to me. No one should have to deal with that type of pain. A home is suppose to be a place where you can feel safe without any harm, not a place where you have to question if you are going to be safe or not.
My friend Seth is the reason why we have metal detectors at my school. I knew Seth for many years and he was like a brother to me. Oh wait, I should say like a sister to me. He was gay and acted like a complete girl. There wasn’t a day that went by that Seth didn’t wear tight clothes or sparkles. He did his eyebrows and wore eyeliner with black nail polish. He was an emo homosexual. There was a guy named Jake on our football team. Seth adored him in every way, but was scared to express himself toward Jake. He asked me to tell Jake, so I did. I never would have thought anything bad would come off of it. I thought it was normal for Jake to know that Seth had a crush on him.
When I told Jake, it seemed like he just blew it off because he was with his football buddies. I guess after Jake knew, Seth was more expressive of his feelings. He would poke Jake and write him love letters. Jake’s replies were mean, but Seth found it as he was playing hard to get. Seth always made a hard situation into a joke, so he could get past it. That was what I loved about him. No matter what Jake said, Seth kept trying to charm him.
At the same time, Jake would bully Seth about the way he dressed. Seth just snapped his fingers and ignored it. When he came over for homework study he cried, because deep down it killed him. I tried to help, but he kept saying “No, he does love me!” I didn’t know how to respond, so I kept quiet.
On February 16th, everything went downhill at school. My class was in Computer Apps when it happened. Seth and I were in the far back in the lab waiting to be told what to do. All I saw was Jake come and give Seth a hug from the back. I didn’t think nothing of it, so I played on the computer. Suddenly, I heard three loud pops and Seth fell into my lap, full of blood. Everyone started to run out of the class and our teacher called 911. That’s when I realized Seth was dead.
All Seth wanted was to be normal and be respected. Jake used a small handgun to kill Seth. He ended up getting life in jail for murder. Still to this day I wonder, what drove him over the edge? I will never know for sure. Now, our school has metal detectors and if you have a weapon, the police are called that instant. So, the loss of my friend helped make the school better.
This is not a true story, just a created piece I made up. None of these events actually happened. I believe if a school or house doesn’t have any type of security then can be a very unsafe place for children or adults. There can be a higher chance of threat, which can lead to pain or death if something goes wrong. With security, the world can be a safer place for everyone.