Trust and Safety: Do you trust our institutions to keep us safe?

Precious_15
Stop and think, about a young toddler on the first day of school, and their parents. How they are frightened, scared, excited, and, how parents go the extra mile to make sure they are comfortable. Extra snacks, extra paper, and glue sticks used to be what parents gave their precious children. In this society today, that’s no longer the case. Kids are being killed, raped, bullied, and it’s sickening to me, as a fifteen year old girl. Every teenager wants their space, their private time, but now when I go out, I clang to my mom for protection. No matter how old we get, this world isn’t safe. A lot of parents agree or disagree, about getting their child a cell phone. Note to parents: ALL KIDS NEED SOME TYPE OF PHONE. Like us kids hate showing our parents our bad grades, Parents hate to get calls from schools, or any type of bad news about their child. Like every school, they have fire drills, safety drills, and lockdowns. One particular day at my school, we thought we were having a regular monthly lockdown. This time it wasn’t practice. A seventeen year old boy had ran in our school with a gun, and was threatening faculty and students. Since when did teenagers in our society have guns? It’s sickening to know that most of us teenagers are killing, bullying, raping, and subtracting other teens and adults from the world. The main reason I believe us teenagers are doing what they are, because parents are losing communication with their kids. Most parents think their teenager doesn’t want to be bothered or talked to, NO YOUR SO WRONG. Talk to us; ask us about our day, what we learned, how are we feeling. It could be the shortest sentence, but it could make the biggest impact on us. Another thing is start having dinner at the table again. The dinner table is used to fellowship, eat, and have family time. It’s also a better opportunity to discuss problems of the world, and what’s going on, and how we can prevent from being another problem out there. You may say, “Oh their just kids, they don’t know anything”. We don’t know because you all don’t share. Inform us, and let us know about things to help us, and stop us from being in any danger. Also, make safety plans. Make lists of things that can prevent you and your family, just in case. Too many of us young people are dying, and losing our lives, when we don’t have too. Half of the people in jail are us, young people. We are wasting our dreams, hurting the world, and ourselves, and mostly our own parents. Think of ways we can all help our world to become a better place, we are the next generation. Let’s start using these ideas, so my future, won’t be considered another statistic.