STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Trust and Safety: Targeted by Death

Hnholly95
We’re all target, every one of us, “a person of interest.” Some are more than others of course, but why? Why was it that our twin towers had to be struck, destroyed, and ruined? Why did our neighbors, friends, or family members have to die on that awful day? As much as the army could try and protect us, it’s not always that easy. Why do innocent people, innocent kids even, have to risk their lives every day? For you never know what will happen next. Target of death.
Much longer ago, the first civilized people walked this planet, facing multiple risks and threats every day. This is something that has yet to change, and most likely it will never change. Living things are a target for death. Although we don’t worry about catching life threatening diseases as much now as we do today; we worry about kidnappers, car accidents, fires, terrorist attacks, “cyber bullying.” And as the generations keep changing and improving, the threats also change. It’s impossible to keep it from happening. The medical field is improving, for example. They are finding cures and vaccinations for sickness' that used to kill us. So the changing society could be a reason why the targets on our back are constantly growing larger.
Schools have developed systems and drills for protecting students better like lock downs for when predators come into our school as a threat. Do I feel safe in my school? Yes, because I live in a small town that has a low crime rate.
I give credit to schools that try their hardest to keep its students safe by instituting precautions; they are reducing the risk of crime. School's that have protection systems make the target on kid's back smaller.
As a minor, I trust my parents with my life. But as I’m nearing the age of 16, I know for a fact that it’s getting harder and harder for them to keep me safe as I go out into the real world by myself. This is when I need to start protecting myself even better.
There’s no way really to prevent the risks that society gives us… but we can make the chances smaller. Life is all about risk and chance because every day we’re taking a chance and risking our lives just by climbing out of bed. We trust ourselves the most. But security comes, not from yourself but from where you’re at as well.
So in the end, trust is a huge responsibility. Trust saves lives. The only way to protect ourselves from the threat of death is to trust each other. We can show this trust by making the world a better place. But in the end, death will come for us all, no matter what.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy