Trust and Safety: Targeted by Death

Hnholly95
We’re all target, every one of us, “a person of interest.” Some are more than others of course, but why? Why was it that our twin towers had to be struck, destroyed, and ruined? Why did our neighbors, friends, or family members have to die on that awful day? As much as the army could try and protect us, it’s not always that easy. Why do innocent people, innocent kids even, have to risk their lives every day? For you never know what will happen next. Target of death.
Much longer ago, the first civilized people walked this planet, facing multiple risks and threats every day. This is something that has yet to change, and most likely it will never change. Living things are a target for death. Although we don’t worry about catching life threatening diseases as much now as we do today; we worry about kidnappers, car accidents, fires, terrorist attacks, “cyber bullying.” And as the generations keep changing and improving, the threats also change. It’s impossible to keep it from happening. The medical field is improving, for example. They are finding cures and vaccinations for sickness' that used to kill us. So the changing society could be a reason why the targets on our back are constantly growing larger.
Schools have developed systems and drills for protecting students better like lock downs for when predators come into our school as a threat. Do I feel safe in my school? Yes, because I live in a small town that has a low crime rate.
I give credit to schools that try their hardest to keep its students safe by instituting precautions; they are reducing the risk of crime. School's that have protection systems make the target on kid's back smaller.
As a minor, I trust my parents with my life. But as I’m nearing the age of 16, I know for a fact that it’s getting harder and harder for them to keep me safe as I go out into the real world by myself. This is when I need to start protecting myself even better.
There’s no way really to prevent the risks that society gives us… but we can make the chances smaller. Life is all about risk and chance because every day we’re taking a chance and risking our lives just by climbing out of bed. We trust ourselves the most. But security comes, not from yourself but from where you’re at as well.
So in the end, trust is a huge responsibility. Trust saves lives. The only way to protect ourselves from the threat of death is to trust each other. We can show this trust by making the world a better place. But in the end, death will come for us all, no matter what.