STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Trust and Safety: Do you trust your government?

mmarkham
When the terrorists crashed their planes into the twin towers many people’s lives were dramatically changed. My mother lost her best friend and I started to lose my trust in our government. September 11th itself did not actually cause me to be distrustful, but it sparked something inside me that made me want to learn more about our government and pay attention to what was happening in the political games our congress is made up of.
As I started paying more attention to politics I learned many things that deeply disturbed me. One thing I learned was the many games congressmen play in order to get their downright ridiculous bills passed. Congressmen play a little ‘you pass my bill and I will pass yours’ kind of game. Even while we are facing a multi-trillion dollar deficit our congressmen are too lazy to make a bill that is for the greater good of the people. They have so called “Christmas tree bills” that allow the other congressmen to “hang” or include what amendments they want passed. Even on the congress’s “must pass bill” unrelated policy provisos called “riders.” Why is it that our congressmen are so lazy? Are we electing the wrong people? In my opinion, no. I believe that our government is so full of corrupt people that when adding new people to our government they are forced to follow along with the corrupt patterns that have already been put in place. It will take many truly sincere, headstrong fresh congressmen to establish a government that is less corrupt than it is. Until every face in our government is a fresh face, nothing will ever change.
Unfortunately, our judicial branch is corrupt to. Innocent till proven guilty, right? Technically yes, but that is exactly what our court system has become. I once heard a lawyer say something along the lines of it is not about the evidence or the truth, it is about who has the better argument. This has proven itself true many times. Just because you are proven guilty does not mean that you actually are guilty. There have been many cases where someone has been released from prison after serving their entire lives because the police have found the real perpetrator. There have also been instances where people, who are definitely guilty, like Casey Anthony, have been acquitted even though every single piece of evidence points to a guilty verdict. So tell me this, if our judicial branch is set in place for justice, then why are we not receiving it? There is only one answer, it is corrupt.
It all comes down to every part of our government being corrupt. Even while facing trillion dollar deficit our congress will not take the time to pass a bill that is for the greater good, and even though our judicial branch was set up for justice to be made, justice has become who can argue better and make persuade the people to believe false evidence. Any American who knows anything about our government, knows that it simply cannot be trusted.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy