Trust and Safety: A Delusional Dream

wisdomuniversal
In my own limited experience of our world and its tendencies as well as its unpredictable twists, I have noted a few thoughts of mine concerning human nature. We as humankind are horribly affected and impacted by that most troublesome of emotions: outright fear. Minds controlled by this fear often perform atrocious acts of violence, and upon reflecting over the appalling losses involved in such acts, we shed a few tears and whisper among ourselves: “Why has this happened? What kind of person is capable of such horrific Armageddon moments?” This type of fear comes from discrepancies in the foundational concept of trust and safety. The forthcoming generation of today’s teens and students are faced with quivering fears—the imminent threat of terrorism, dangers involved with advancements into a digital world, and violence relating to school shootings and lock-downs. Who can we turn to in these times of utmost peril and desperate fears? “Each to our own parents!” some would reply. We as students cannot rely on our dear parents to oversee our safety at all times. In only a short while, we will leave those safe homes and find our way in this world. What then? Our own homes would take the place of our parents’ homes, and who would protect us then? Not our parents. So, our question is posed again. Who can we turn to in these times of utmost peril and desperate fears? “Our schools will keep us safe!” others would reply. Will they? Already, there are news reports of violence and shocking happenings in those deemed safe environments. Laws and strict enforcements cannot contain that central human tendency towards bullying, violence, drugs, and peer pressure which harbor in our schools. These problems can be traced across the nation to every established school because where there are student bodies and adolescents, there are also these common issues. We cannot depend on our educational system to support the safety of each and every attending student. Now, we ask our as of yet unanswered question. Who can we turn to in these times of utmost peril and desperate fears? “Surely our government!” several would reply. According to our most cherished Constitution, the government of our country should run in sync with providing for the safety of the people. Citizens should be reassured as they change the channel to news regarding our government. However, fears continue to attack our inner cores and gnaw on our reserve. “Who can we turn to in these times of utmost peril and desperate fears?” we murmur. Our answer resides in each of us. You. Me. We. All must rely on themselves for safety and trust. If you need reassurance, you must act on achieving that inner calm that accompanies trust and safety. Dependence on unreliable organizations or clusters of humans can only lead to broken illusions eventually shattered like a delusional dream upon that sharp entrance into brusque reality.