Trust and Safety: The Cyber Version

SammytheBookWorm
The news, radio and other forms of media talk about how bullying is affecting students in local public schools. The papers write about how a student was involved a serious bullying issue and what is expected to happen in the coming days. What you never seem to read or hear about is the bullying that happens with online schooling.

I have been a homeschooler since 1st grade and recently I joined an online school. It was the best education related decision I ever made. My classes were fun and my teachers were nice. Everything seemed to be perfect and I figured I could fly through high school without any problems.

And then I met a cyber bully. Long story short, I became the victim of a cyber bully and I was drained physically and emotionally. I had to take a week off of school because I could not concentrate on my tests. My teachers felt bad for me and quickly agreed to my vacation.

I realized then how nothing stops cyber bullies from happening. Sure, teachers can then punish and maybe even expel the student, but nothing stops it from the start. In the end, there will be a multitude of online students who are left broken and hurt; students just like me.

The best piece of advice that I can offer to online learners is: do everything in the sight of your teacher. Teachers moderate everything that goes on on the school page. Be careful of what you do with students off line; that’s where the trouble starts.

I trust my government, my teachers and my parents; I just don’t trust fellow students.