Trust and Safety: Who Do You Trust?

REENA
Trust and Safety: Who Do You Trust?

Threats. Violence. Danger. It’s in our world, all around us. Every day, adults are making decisions about war and crime, but what about teenagers? What about students, who face threats and dangers every day, yet have no voice in their own protection? There lies a question of great debate – do teenagers trust the people who represent them with their lives? If so, do these people listen to what teenagers have to say?

Most teenagers are aware of the dangers that face them, and they understand what they should do to look after themselves on the street, in school and in their own homes. But what about the threats to their safety they have no say in – like national security? In matters that are handled solely by adults, they must rely upon their parents, teachers and government to make moves which assure safety for teenagers. They have no choice but to trust their guardians blindly, and for this reason, this trust should not be breached.

When parents, teachers and governments make choices about security, they should always keep in mind teenage students. They depend upon and trust major institutions to provide them with safety, for example, lock down systems in schools and military concerns in the defence system. Students live with threats and danger all around them, like bullying and war, but – unfortunately – they currently have very little opportunity to voice their concerns and provide possible solutions. If teenagers face these fears each day, and place so much faith in responsible adults, then shouldn’t it be considered fair for their opinions to be heard?

So far, the adults who are responsible for the safety of teenage students are doing the best they can to ensure their safety, and have decided upon good strategies to minimise threats. However, even the best of these strategies and procedures put in place can be improved – and who better to identify flaws and possibilities of improvement in them than those who carry out those safety measures every day? Teenagers! They are the next generation, and they are the ones who should be an important factor in the decisions made on their security.

The current security measures taken for teenage students are effective, and the adults and institutions they trust to look after their safety are acting in their best interests. However, to ensure that the safety procedures taken to protect them from the dangers and threats around them are the best they can possibly be, teenagers should have a say in their own protection. If parents, teachers and governments cooperated with students to protect them against threats, the quantity of teenagers that are harmed around the world each year would decrease dramatically. At the end of the day, teenage students trust major institutions and their parents to keep them safe, and the dangerous threats surrounding them can be minimised with a combined effort from both adults and teenagers.

You make an awesome point! There is a way for you, teenagers, to have your say....vote! If you are not already, you will soon be old enough to make your choices based on your opinions. Becoming active in what is really going on around you is the best way to be ready for that day to come. Decisions made today will affect us all in our future. Great essay!
Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 7:09:16 AM

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Trust and Safety writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensTrustandSafety.aspx

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 2:41:22 PM
Comment by jasoncaleb

I respect your views in this essay. And all I can really say about not having your voice heard is that there are a lot of people that feel that way, and to be blunt, I think it's because for years and years we live in this country with this idea that you're not an adult until you're 18. Like that's the magic number or something.

Another reason I think is that parents don't want their teenage children to have to concern themselves with the dangers that exist. So i think for some, it's an issue of personal security that even though they know and may even feel haunted by the dangers in the world, there is some comfort for parents in knowing that their children feel safe-- even if that feeling of safety is merely an ignorance of what's really out there because parents shelter them too much.

I'm not saying parents should shelter their children this way, but I think kids should know where their parents are coming from. That they have good intentions but it's not actually good to give children a false sense of safety. That's part of growing up, as you point out in your essay, that children grow up to be teenagers who will become adults who are not too young to understand what's going on in the world.

Good essay.
Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 6:00:26 PM