I learned from my mother that nothing should be taken at face value

deepadarani
I learned from my mother that nothing should be taken at face value, not even people. Twenty-seven years ago, my mother was sixteen, the age I am now. To say she was beautiful would be an understatement. She was gorgeous; the envy of all the girls in school and the passion of all the boys. She was the youngest in her family of six sisters.
My mother was a rather shy and demure person. The only time you could see her shine was when she was participating in charity club events. She was an active member of the club and well, a little naïve at the time, was taken advantage of quite a bit; always the first to arrive and the last to leave.
It was one evening, after a particularly successful charity drive that my mother, tired to the bone, was getting ready to walk the distance back home. One of her teacher advisors offered to drive her home. It seemed an innocent gesture, helping to drop one of his students home so that she didn’t have to walk all the way back in the dark.
He was a lovable teacher; everybody in his class loved him. Students often looked to him for advice and all the teachers aimed to have the kind of teacher-student relationship that he had with his students. In other words, nobody would have suspected that he would try to do to her what he did that night.
Somewhere along the way, it had started raining and the fifteen minute drive back seemed to be taking double the time. They were at a traffic light, sitting in comfortable silence if not for the sound of the rain hitting the roof of his old car. My mother was looking out the window, thinking of nothing but the successful event. And then she felt something heavy on the back of her head.
‘You have very nice hair.’ He said softly, wrapping a lock of her hair around his finger. My mother froze, not knowing how to respond. His hand was trailing down her neck, slowly. But luck was on her side that night, because the traffic light turned green and he had no choice but to remove his hand from her neck and drive.
He didn’t stop the car again, or try to touch her. Maybe the look of terror on her face was enough to make him realize what a big mistake he was making. Or maybe common sense finally set in. He drove non-stop until he reached my mother’s house. She hurried out of the car, slamming the door shut behind her and running inside. She had always thought of him to be a nice person, and he probably was, but temptation can change any man.
My mother has always been protective of me and I do understand why. I understand what she went through and I know that looks can be deceiving. Sometimes, the shiniest apple could have the most worms in it. I learnt that not everything is as it seems to be.