I learned from my mother that people can't bring you down

sanya100
My mom isn’t like other moms. She’s loud and she likes to openly talk about everything, including the most uncomfortable things that most teenagers don’t like talking about. She’s also an epidemiologist which is basically where she finds out where the diseases or sicknesses are coming from when people start getting sick out of nowhere. In other words, my mom is an interesting character. One day she was going on about her old days in her home country. She said she was going to become a doctor and she studied hard every night and was the first of her class. I looked at her funny because I thought well if she worked so hard why isn’t she a doctor now? Then she said,

“When I married your dad, I was being rushed into the whole marriage business. I didn’t finish taking my final exams yet. If I had more time I would’ve been able to take them and I would’ve been a doctor in no time.”

I looked at her and replied, “Mom, couldn’t you have taken your exams when you were settled down or something?”

She looked down and said, “Well when we settled down I was already nine months pregnant with you, and when I had you I couldn’t concentrate on my studies. I knew it was my duty to take care of you and I couldn’t just leave you with your grandparents. My heart was so connected to my baby, that I lost all my concentration. The worst part was that your dad’s mom kept pressuring me to become a doctor. Her pressure wasn’t the good kind. It was the kind where she compared me to other rich people in our family, and it made me feel so stressed out. There were so many things on my mind that I didn’t know what to do.”

“You still took the exam, right?” I said reassuringly.

“Oh I took the exam alright, and I took it while you where in Pakistan with your grandparents. My heart sank every time I thought about you. You were my first baby. Sadly, my score was a failing one, and how your dad’s mom attacked me about it every day made me want to scream. She still does it to this day and she still thinks I’m a bad mom and that I didn’t raise you and your brother right.” She said with a gloomy voice.

“You shouldn’t have let her bring you down like that! You raised us to be confident and good people.” I exclaimed.

My mom smiled leaving the room and said, “I promise I will never compare you or your children when you grow up. I will always support you.”

After that I looked at my mom as a strong, powerful woman. She reminds me of a legend.