STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I learned from my mother that people can't bring you down

sanya100
My mom isn’t like other moms. She’s loud and she likes to openly talk about everything, including the most uncomfortable things that most teenagers don’t like talking about. She’s also an epidemiologist which is basically where she finds out where the diseases or sicknesses are coming from when people start getting sick out of nowhere. In other words, my mom is an interesting character. One day she was going on about her old days in her home country. She said she was going to become a doctor and she studied hard every night and was the first of her class. I looked at her funny because I thought well if she worked so hard why isn’t she a doctor now? Then she said,

“When I married your dad, I was being rushed into the whole marriage business. I didn’t finish taking my final exams yet. If I had more time I would’ve been able to take them and I would’ve been a doctor in no time.”

I looked at her and replied, “Mom, couldn’t you have taken your exams when you were settled down or something?”

She looked down and said, “Well when we settled down I was already nine months pregnant with you, and when I had you I couldn’t concentrate on my studies. I knew it was my duty to take care of you and I couldn’t just leave you with your grandparents. My heart was so connected to my baby, that I lost all my concentration. The worst part was that your dad’s mom kept pressuring me to become a doctor. Her pressure wasn’t the good kind. It was the kind where she compared me to other rich people in our family, and it made me feel so stressed out. There were so many things on my mind that I didn’t know what to do.”

“You still took the exam, right?” I said reassuringly.

“Oh I took the exam alright, and I took it while you where in Pakistan with your grandparents. My heart sank every time I thought about you. You were my first baby. Sadly, my score was a failing one, and how your dad’s mom attacked me about it every day made me want to scream. She still does it to this day and she still thinks I’m a bad mom and that I didn’t raise you and your brother right.” She said with a gloomy voice.

“You shouldn’t have let her bring you down like that! You raised us to be confident and good people.” I exclaimed.

My mom smiled leaving the room and said, “I promise I will never compare you or your children when you grow up. I will always support you.”

After that I looked at my mom as a strong, powerful woman. She reminds me of a legend.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy