I learned from my mother that she was homeless

finchel
Last night my mother was preparing dinner when I walked up to her and asked her to tell me one thing that I didn’t know about her. She was silent for a while so I asked if she had even heard my question (since she usually doesn’t the first time I ask her something). My mom looked up from the chopped onions with a confused look on her face. I sighed impatiently and then repeated the question. She was quiet for another moment and then told me that she would think about it and get back to me. I went around the house and did some cleaning and asked my mom if she had thought of anything yet. She said she hadn’t. After dinner I asked her again. Nothing yet. I finally questioned her for the last time before going to bed and she told me she had thought of something. I hopped on the couch and got ready to listen.
My mom started her story by saying that she had once gotten stuck out of the country for three years. I was intrigued (who wouldn’t have been?) so I asked her to elaborate. She continued by saying that she had gone to Zurich, Switzerland to visit a friend but when she wanted to come back to the United States she couldn’t because there was something wrong with her Visa and she had applied to residency in the US but since it hadn’t been approved yet she couldn’t come back. So, she was forced to roam Zurich and then go to Paris and all over France for two years, never having one designated home.
I asked my mother if she was ever scared. She answered yes because she could have been arrested at any point in her adventure. I began to wonder that if she had been arrested way back then, would I even be here right now?