I learned from my mother that I owe her my life

princess.anokhi17
On January 26, 2001, the day of the 7.7 earthquake in Gujarat, a five-year old girl stood gazing at the shattered glass mirror laying in front of her while the earth shook violently. She seemed to be lost in her own innocent world, never realizing that this could be her last look in the mirror. In an instance, her bleeding mother grabbed her in her arms and ran downstairs, managing to save the girl’s life. The mother was hurt badly but she did not care about her life when it came to saving her daughter’s. I had realized the importance of my mother until she narrated this incident to me. After hearing my story, my perception towards my mother changed dramatically. I felt thankful to God for giving me the most wonderful gift on this earth, a mother, who has now become my ideal.
All my life, I had always been a rebellious child, arguing and deferring with my mother in everything. I never felt thankful towards my mother who had sacrificed her dreams and her career just to take care of me. Our relationship seemed to be going nowhere; I felt I knew everything about my mother and that I would not need her anymore. However, our little talk about an incident that had occurred ten years ago proved me completely wrong. I have now realized that no matter how old a child gets, he or she needs his mother. Furthermore, I thank god everyday for giving me the most wonderful mother in this world and I have vowed to sacrifice more time for my relationship with my mother more loving.
I once read a famous Jewish proverb on the importance of a mother: God could not be everywhere, so he made mothers. The meaning of this proverb directly relates to the incident that has left me thinking—God could not be there to save my life that day but I had my mother. A mother is equivalent to God. My mother is not only my savior but also my source of inspiration. If I have a child in the future, I would like to give her the same love and affection that my mother has given to me. Although I would not be successful because I can never be as good as my mother. Indeed, I would never be able to repay what she has done for me.
The narration of this incident by my mother has completely changed my view towards life. Not only have I realized that my mother means everything to me but I have also realized that life is about giving and not expecting anything in return. A mother sacrifices everything for her child, expecting nothing in return; she just wants her child to live up to her goals. Just like a mother, I have decided not be selfish in any relationship because relationships can never be bought.