STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I learned from my mother that I owe her my life

princess.anokhi17
On January 26, 2001, the day of the 7.7 earthquake in Gujarat, a five-year old girl stood gazing at the shattered glass mirror laying in front of her while the earth shook violently. She seemed to be lost in her own innocent world, never realizing that this could be her last look in the mirror. In an instance, her bleeding mother grabbed her in her arms and ran downstairs, managing to save the girl’s life. The mother was hurt badly but she did not care about her life when it came to saving her daughter’s. I had realized the importance of my mother until she narrated this incident to me. After hearing my story, my perception towards my mother changed dramatically. I felt thankful to God for giving me the most wonderful gift on this earth, a mother, who has now become my ideal.
All my life, I had always been a rebellious child, arguing and deferring with my mother in everything. I never felt thankful towards my mother who had sacrificed her dreams and her career just to take care of me. Our relationship seemed to be going nowhere; I felt I knew everything about my mother and that I would not need her anymore. However, our little talk about an incident that had occurred ten years ago proved me completely wrong. I have now realized that no matter how old a child gets, he or she needs his mother. Furthermore, I thank god everyday for giving me the most wonderful mother in this world and I have vowed to sacrifice more time for my relationship with my mother more loving.
I once read a famous Jewish proverb on the importance of a mother: God could not be everywhere, so he made mothers. The meaning of this proverb directly relates to the incident that has left me thinking—God could not be there to save my life that day but I had my mother. A mother is equivalent to God. My mother is not only my savior but also my source of inspiration. If I have a child in the future, I would like to give her the same love and affection that my mother has given to me. Although I would not be successful because I can never be as good as my mother. Indeed, I would never be able to repay what she has done for me.
The narration of this incident by my mother has completely changed my view towards life. Not only have I realized that my mother means everything to me but I have also realized that life is about giving and not expecting anything in return. A mother sacrifices everything for her child, expecting nothing in return; she just wants her child to live up to her goals. Just like a mother, I have decided not be selfish in any relationship because relationships can never be bought.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy