STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I learned from my grandmother...

ShaniceStephenson.2012
I learned from my grandmother that after my mother gave birth to me I came to live with her along with my brother and my sister. As a child I didn’t understand what was going on or why things were happening around me the way they were. For a while, I didn’t really care about my surroundings until I saw just about everyone at school with their parents at the father or mother dance, or when our class had parties and my mother and father wasn’t there to celebrate with me. What hurt the most was when it came time for mother’s and father’s day. I would ask my grandmother where they were and she would give me the same answer, that they were busy. As a child you would think of busy as working really hard at your job, but that wasn’t the busy my grandmother was talking about. I learned from my grandmother that when she said busy, she meant that they were too busy for me. Being busy meant that neither one of my parents were in a condition where they could take care of me. When I lived with my grandmother I would see a man come in and out of our house. He was tall, dark skin, very skinny, and always jittery when he came around. I thought he was just a friend of my grandmother, but he wasn’t. He turned out to be my father. He was on drugs and my mother was too. Drugs had my parents in a state where neither one of them had the decency to care about their children, especially me. I was the youngest and the only one that looked like my father. I looked up to him as a hero but all he ever did was leave when I wanted him to stay beside me forever. When I got older I tried to make every effort to understand that it’s not my job to hate my parents. Yes, they weren’t there for me, and they practically took everything my grandmother had without looking back, but who would I be if I hated them? Even though the news my grandmother gave me about my parents was heartbreaking, I did come to learn from my grandmother that she is a Christian. You should love everyone regardless of what their past was. I learned to love to be loved back.
Rate this:
Comment by mcoly618

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Parents writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

Here's the link to the contest summary page. We'll be formally announcing the winner soon.
http://www.stageoflife.com/TeenParentalRelationships.aspx

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Congrats again. We look forward to seeing more of your essays/writing on StageofLife.com. Thanks for helping us in our mission of creating the world's largest pool of cross-generational stories.
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 4:21:23 PM
Rate this:
Comment by Guest

Got it! Thanks a lot again for helinpg me out!
Posted: Monday, January 2, 2012 4:44:08 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy