I learned from my grandmother...

ShaniceStephenson.2012
I learned from my grandmother that after my mother gave birth to me I came to live with her along with my brother and my sister. As a child I didn’t understand what was going on or why things were happening around me the way they were. For a while, I didn’t really care about my surroundings until I saw just about everyone at school with their parents at the father or mother dance, or when our class had parties and my mother and father wasn’t there to celebrate with me. What hurt the most was when it came time for mother’s and father’s day. I would ask my grandmother where they were and she would give me the same answer, that they were busy. As a child you would think of busy as working really hard at your job, but that wasn’t the busy my grandmother was talking about. I learned from my grandmother that when she said busy, she meant that they were too busy for me. Being busy meant that neither one of my parents were in a condition where they could take care of me. When I lived with my grandmother I would see a man come in and out of our house. He was tall, dark skin, very skinny, and always jittery when he came around. I thought he was just a friend of my grandmother, but he wasn’t. He turned out to be my father. He was on drugs and my mother was too. Drugs had my parents in a state where neither one of them had the decency to care about their children, especially me. I was the youngest and the only one that looked like my father. I looked up to him as a hero but all he ever did was leave when I wanted him to stay beside me forever. When I got older I tried to make every effort to understand that it’s not my job to hate my parents. Yes, they weren’t there for me, and they practically took everything my grandmother had without looking back, but who would I be if I hated them? Even though the news my grandmother gave me about my parents was heartbreaking, I did come to learn from my grandmother that she is a Christian. You should love everyone regardless of what their past was. I learned to love to be loved back.

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Parents writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/TeenParentalRelationships.aspx

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 4:21:23 PM
Comment by Guest

Posts: 2,760
Got it! Thanks a lot again for helinpg me out!
Posted: Monday, January 2, 2012 4:44:08 AM