I Learned That My Father Used To Be A Bouncer

mwalsh12
An interesting thing I learned about my father during my interview was that when he was in college at temple university was that he was a bouncer at a in Philadelphia. I did not know my father was a bouncer when he was in college it made me see a new side of my father that I have never thought nor thought about before. I also learned that he was a Bartender at one of the major Pubs in the city and was also in charge of breaking up bar fights there also. I did not think my father was into those kinds of activity as he seems like such a more sophisticated and conservative individual. I never would have thought he would have been a bartender and a bouncer. The other things I found strange was that my dad maintained his scholarship for playing football at temple by tutoring the football players so they would not fail there classes. My dad originally was going to play football with temple until he blue out both of his knees in a game. I learned started to see a different perspective of my reserved conservative father. In college he was a more outgoing loud individual. He actually had a very large an social night life. Without this interview with my father I would have not thought of my dad as that type of individual my perception of my father was more of someone who would have worked in a book store or as a cashier at some store. This was a great new perspective of my father to see. My father was almost laughing when he was telling me stories about different fights at the bars and how individuals would try to gain access into a night club. I could not picture my dad actually throwing individuals out of bars and getting involved in fights and having to stop bar fights. That he has had chairs, stools and bottles thrown at him by individuals and he would have to retain them until the police would arrive to arrest and bring the individual to the police station. It still amazes me that my dad was at one of the biggest college bars in Phil when he try to seem like such an conservative individual today. I think its quite funny that an ones past can be completely different that what one would think. Thats why it is so amazing how the past is the past and can easily be forgotten and a new person or “cover” can be created. I think it is also interesting is how we base someone completely off there outer appearance or what they seem to be like. When people are completely different than they appear. I concluded that it is a good idea to ask your parents to tell you something that you do not know about them. It opens many doors to the relationship and creates a very good and interesting conversation.