STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I Learned That My Father Used To Be A Bouncer

mwalsh12
An interesting thing I learned about my father during my interview was that when he was in college at temple university was that he was a bouncer at a in Philadelphia. I did not know my father was a bouncer when he was in college it made me see a new side of my father that I have never thought nor thought about before. I also learned that he was a Bartender at one of the major Pubs in the city and was also in charge of breaking up bar fights there also. I did not think my father was into those kinds of activity as he seems like such a more sophisticated and conservative individual. I never would have thought he would have been a bartender and a bouncer. The other things I found strange was that my dad maintained his scholarship for playing football at temple by tutoring the football players so they would not fail there classes. My dad originally was going to play football with temple until he blue out both of his knees in a game. I learned started to see a different perspective of my reserved conservative father. In college he was a more outgoing loud individual. He actually had a very large an social night life. Without this interview with my father I would have not thought of my dad as that type of individual my perception of my father was more of someone who would have worked in a book store or as a cashier at some store. This was a great new perspective of my father to see. My father was almost laughing when he was telling me stories about different fights at the bars and how individuals would try to gain access into a night club. I could not picture my dad actually throwing individuals out of bars and getting involved in fights and having to stop bar fights. That he has had chairs, stools and bottles thrown at him by individuals and he would have to retain them until the police would arrive to arrest and bring the individual to the police station. It still amazes me that my dad was at one of the biggest college bars in Phil when he try to seem like such an conservative individual today. I think its quite funny that an ones past can be completely different that what one would think. Thats why it is so amazing how the past is the past and can easily be forgotten and a new person or “cover” can be created. I think it is also interesting is how we base someone completely off there outer appearance or what they seem to be like. When people are completely different than they appear. I concluded that it is a good idea to ask your parents to tell you something that you do not know about them. It opens many doors to the relationship and creates a very good and interesting conversation.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy