I Learned From My Mother the Sound of My Heart Beat

cgordon13
When I was asked to interview my parents I knew there would be something I wasn’t aware of. To tell the truth, I don’t know the first thing about my father’s childhood, but he remains silent so I asked my mother. I wasn’t sure what to expect but I knew her life must have been boring. I learned something that changed me.In high school my mother, her senior year, worked as an EMT, driving an ambulance. Standardly they rarely had to bring a person back to the hospital, but their was one person she could never forget. My mother was 17 when working a 3 a.m. shift on a friday night. The call was relayed and she was dispatched.Upon arrival, she couldn’t believe her eyes. A man had his maroon ford explorer wrapped around a tree. He had blood on his face and was stuck in the front seat. By the time the jaws of life ripped the car open enough he was crying and screaming as they pulled him out of his seat. He turned to my mother and begged her to stop them form moving him. He thought he wasn’t worth saving that he was just another drunk on the road. My mother told him to be calm and hold on. He told her he could hear his heart beat. Scream i can hear my heart and it’s stopping. When they got him in the ambulance laid dow on a stretcher my mother could barely drive. So she sat in the back and her partner Rich drove. She couldn’t hold his hand because she was so scared and he was screaming. They were about ten minutes from the hospital when he started screaming about hearing his heart beat again. He yelled out that he could hear it stopping and she wished she could be the with the police back at his car wrapped around the tree which was the case with her friend Debby. The man began to pray and stopped crying. He spoke quietly and told the driver to turn around because he was not going to make it to the hospital. He told my mother to apologize to his ex-wife and my mom said she would as the 3rd EMT stabbed something in his arm. When they finally pulled into Saint Clair’s, he turn his head to my mother who he didn’t really seem to be looking at and said thank you Kathy. He whimpered I can’t hear my heart beat any more.The man died, and when she met my father he drove a maroon ford explorer which she never drove. When my mother packed up and prepared to go home, as she changed she realized she had forgotten to wear her name tag that night, and she didn’t remember ever telling the man her name. When I was borne she told me that she held me close to her, so she could hear my heart beat.