STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I learned from my father's and mother's childhood

Yuliana
When my parents yell at me for some reason or another I sometimes question why they yell at me for it. I sometimes wonder why they act the way they do, but to be honest the things they say to me is something they learned as a child. I never imagined that their lives would be hard and most of the time filled with tears. What I learned from my parents is that their childhood wasn’t easy and colorful like every child dreams about. The lessons they learned from their early child life are life lessons they still carry to this day.
My mother’s “life wasn’t the color pink,” she says to me like yours is. I really didn’t understand that phrase, “life being pink.” But I thought about it and realized that my life is the color pink and that my life is ten times way easier than her was. I never knew that my mother had many chores to do and they weren’t the chores that I’m doing today but instead they were work labor. She had to clean the chicken’s pen before school, wash her clothes by hand, help her mother with the dishes, and after school she had to change out of her uniform and help make dinner for her siblings. When she said all of those things I was completely shocked and proud of my mother. Her childhood was difficult for young child like her. I really took in consideration some of my actions and I realized that sometimes the things I do around the house could never be compared to the amount of work my mother did as a child. As I looked into her eyes I could see that she wasn’t ungrateful at all with her life and that she didn’t hold any remorse against her mother but instead she feels grateful and proud that her mother made her into a great women. That right their inspires me so much.
Then when I asked my father about his childhood he seemed a little sad to tell me about it, but at the same time proud of his life. He didn’t have much comfort from his father when he was growing up, but that didn’t bother him as much as going in the cold to watch the sheep’s and make sure they wouldn’t wonder off. That’s why he says to me that he’s afraid of the water because that brings back terrifying memories. He doesn’t hold that against his father though, but he said that if he could back in time and change something it would be to go back and be able to get an education. He smiled as he said, “if I could go back in time and change something it would have been to go to school like the other kids.” My father would have loved to go to school but its something that wasn’t able to happen. I understand many things now.
My parents childhood was rough and difficult and I think that made them stronger parents and although sometimes I don’t understand their rules I have a better idea of why they act the way they do.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy