I learned from my father's and mother's childhood

Yuliana
When my parents yell at me for some reason or another I sometimes question why they yell at me for it. I sometimes wonder why they act the way they do, but to be honest the things they say to me is something they learned as a child. I never imagined that their lives would be hard and most of the time filled with tears. What I learned from my parents is that their childhood wasn’t easy and colorful like every child dreams about. The lessons they learned from their early child life are life lessons they still carry to this day.
My mother’s “life wasn’t the color pink,” she says to me like yours is. I really didn’t understand that phrase, “life being pink.” But I thought about it and realized that my life is the color pink and that my life is ten times way easier than her was. I never knew that my mother had many chores to do and they weren’t the chores that I’m doing today but instead they were work labor. She had to clean the chicken’s pen before school, wash her clothes by hand, help her mother with the dishes, and after school she had to change out of her uniform and help make dinner for her siblings. When she said all of those things I was completely shocked and proud of my mother. Her childhood was difficult for young child like her. I really took in consideration some of my actions and I realized that sometimes the things I do around the house could never be compared to the amount of work my mother did as a child. As I looked into her eyes I could see that she wasn’t ungrateful at all with her life and that she didn’t hold any remorse against her mother but instead she feels grateful and proud that her mother made her into a great women. That right their inspires me so much.
Then when I asked my father about his childhood he seemed a little sad to tell me about it, but at the same time proud of his life. He didn’t have much comfort from his father when he was growing up, but that didn’t bother him as much as going in the cold to watch the sheep’s and make sure they wouldn’t wonder off. That’s why he says to me that he’s afraid of the water because that brings back terrifying memories. He doesn’t hold that against his father though, but he said that if he could back in time and change something it would be to go back and be able to get an education. He smiled as he said, “if I could go back in time and change something it would have been to go to school like the other kids.” My father would have loved to go to school but its something that wasn’t able to happen. I understand many things now.
My parents childhood was rough and difficult and I think that made them stronger parents and although sometimes I don’t understand their rules I have a better idea of why they act the way they do.