STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I overcame false expectations

NRNT
“What was the most difficult thing you overcame this school year?”

Trying to answer a question like this, I might as well as be writing an essay trying to explain the essence of my character. And yet, it is such a simple question with what should also be a straight forward answer. As a freshman in a competitive program located in an even more competitive county, who suddenly finds herself trying to push through her way through the towering figures of eighteen year olds just so she could get to the restroom before class starts, I would be lying to say that my transition to high school had simply been a delightful experience. Certainly, I could still remember the frustration I felt as I walked around the perimeter of the school three times, trying to find room 316 and the desperation that I felt, as the pile of homework on my desk reached new record heights. Yet, even in the middle of these, I was always blessed with supportive family, friends, and those who cared.

However, as the year dragged on, I have also come to realize that I have been gradually losing grip and interest in what I had once called “my dreams” The enthusiasm that I once had at the beginning of the school dwindled into lost steam. Homework became a drag that I must to do in order to maintain an A in my classes. Volleyball practices became just another few strokes of writing that I could add to my eventual college applications. Even piano turned into just another way to attain more “cups and papers.” Art, music, and sports, all that I have loved to do in the past as a form of relaxation and expression slowly turned into tools to help me gain a “competitive edge” as even the word “friend” became nothing but a polite term for “competitors.”

I wish that I could say that as time went on, I was able to retrace my steps and thoughts and drew inspiration from those around me, but that would be a blatant lie. Instead, I went the complete other way. I snapped. I became defiant. Every night, instead of busying myself with homework and preparation for next day’s class, I sat at my desk and stared at the wall, refusing to let even one single brain cell go to work. In the end, my grades suffered and the hopes of my parents were let down. And perhaps it was only then did I realize that all these time that I had been pushing myself, I was trying to achieve a dream that didn’t belong to me. And again I wish I could say that through my realization, I was able to pick myself up from my fall, but that would not be the truth. I am still almost as confused as before, except only now, I believe that I can finally start to piece back the me that I thought I had lost.

Rate this:
Comment by mcoly618

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Overcoming Challenges writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

Here's the link to the contest summary page. We'll be formally announcing the winner soon.
http://www.stageoflife.com/Teen_Challenges.aspx

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Congrats again. We look forward to seeing more of your essays/writing on StageofLife.com. Thanks for helping us in our mission of creating the world's largest pool of cross-generational stories.
Posted: Monday, June 6, 2011 7:03:04 PM
Rate this:
Comment by NRNT

Thank you!!
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2011 9:30:00 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy