I overcame false expectations

NRNT
“What was the most difficult thing you overcame this school year?”

Trying to answer a question like this, I might as well as be writing an essay trying to explain the essence of my character. And yet, it is such a simple question with what should also be a straight forward answer. As a freshman in a competitive program located in an even more competitive county, who suddenly finds herself trying to push through her way through the towering figures of eighteen year olds just so she could get to the restroom before class starts, I would be lying to say that my transition to high school had simply been a delightful experience. Certainly, I could still remember the frustration I felt as I walked around the perimeter of the school three times, trying to find room 316 and the desperation that I felt, as the pile of homework on my desk reached new record heights. Yet, even in the middle of these, I was always blessed with supportive family, friends, and those who cared.

However, as the year dragged on, I have also come to realize that I have been gradually losing grip and interest in what I had once called “my dreams” The enthusiasm that I once had at the beginning of the school dwindled into lost steam. Homework became a drag that I must to do in order to maintain an A in my classes. Volleyball practices became just another few strokes of writing that I could add to my eventual college applications. Even piano turned into just another way to attain more “cups and papers.” Art, music, and sports, all that I have loved to do in the past as a form of relaxation and expression slowly turned into tools to help me gain a “competitive edge” as even the word “friend” became nothing but a polite term for “competitors.”

I wish that I could say that as time went on, I was able to retrace my steps and thoughts and drew inspiration from those around me, but that would be a blatant lie. Instead, I went the complete other way. I snapped. I became defiant. Every night, instead of busying myself with homework and preparation for next day’s class, I sat at my desk and stared at the wall, refusing to let even one single brain cell go to work. In the end, my grades suffered and the hopes of my parents were let down. And perhaps it was only then did I realize that all these time that I had been pushing myself, I was trying to achieve a dream that didn’t belong to me. And again I wish I could say that through my realization, I was able to pick myself up from my fall, but that would not be the truth. I am still almost as confused as before, except only now, I believe that I can finally start to piece back the me that I thought I had lost.

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Overcoming Challenges writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/Teen_Challenges.aspx

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Monday, June 6, 2011 7:03:04 PM
Comment by NRNT

Thank you!!
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2011 9:30:00 PM