STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I overcame rejection

priya1243
Many people would think that it won’t will not be the end of the world if you don’t get something you want; or at least that is what your loved ones say to comfort you. However, no matter how much comforting your support system provides, it can never be enough. Such was the situation for me this year, the year that would decide if my dream would become a reality. An academy for students motivated in the areas of math and science was the school I dreamed about attending to go to for nearly six years. I daydreamed in school, at home, and even when I was shopping about my life at the academy as a student involved in the many clubs, walking to the eight o’clock biology class in the pouring rain that is hitting your skin hard like rocks, and living with my friends with the most freedom I had for sixteen years my life. Little did I know that the dream will remain a more of a dream than a reality. I worked for four years trying to get the best grades, best class rank, and the most impressive list of extracurricular activities in order to claim a desk at the academy. After an agonizing four months of waiting after the interviews and math entrance exams, I had to face the biggest rejection of my life. As I opened the letter, I began to cry at the prospect of not making it in. Slowly unfolding the letter, I saw the word “regret” and I knew immediately in my mind that nothing in my life would be the same again. I was rejected after years of meticulous planning and obsessing over a fantasy. I just sat there in my black, leather chair staring at the letter for hours wondering why I am so stupid and why I am not good enough. Of course I should have realized that it probably isn’t because there was something wrong with me that I was rejected, maybe there were unique applicants and there just weren’t enough places. This reality didn’t sink in for a long time. I constantly called the academy and tried to figure out what I lacked. On the other hand, my friends kept trying to cheer me up by telling that it will alright if I have to end up going to my normal high school. Little did they understand how much that reject meant to me. I literally went into a state of depression that I couldn’t get over for months. I usually am not such a philosophical person like Socrates or Aristotle who have studied life, yet the rejection taught me more lessons in life than I hoped for. Slowly, I began to realize that everything in life happens for a reason. I had to face reality no matter how hard it. Even though the academy meant the world to my sixteen-year-old heart, there are many more opportunities for a determined girl like me.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy