I overcame rejection

priya1243
Many people would think that it won’t will not be the end of the world if you don’t get something you want; or at least that is what your loved ones say to comfort you. However, no matter how much comforting your support system provides, it can never be enough. Such was the situation for me this year, the year that would decide if my dream would become a reality. An academy for students motivated in the areas of math and science was the school I dreamed about attending to go to for nearly six years. I daydreamed in school, at home, and even when I was shopping about my life at the academy as a student involved in the many clubs, walking to the eight o’clock biology class in the pouring rain that is hitting your skin hard like rocks, and living with my friends with the most freedom I had for sixteen years my life. Little did I know that the dream will remain a more of a dream than a reality. I worked for four years trying to get the best grades, best class rank, and the most impressive list of extracurricular activities in order to claim a desk at the academy. After an agonizing four months of waiting after the interviews and math entrance exams, I had to face the biggest rejection of my life. As I opened the letter, I began to cry at the prospect of not making it in. Slowly unfolding the letter, I saw the word “regret” and I knew immediately in my mind that nothing in my life would be the same again. I was rejected after years of meticulous planning and obsessing over a fantasy. I just sat there in my black, leather chair staring at the letter for hours wondering why I am so stupid and why I am not good enough. Of course I should have realized that it probably isn’t because there was something wrong with me that I was rejected, maybe there were unique applicants and there just weren’t enough places. This reality didn’t sink in for a long time. I constantly called the academy and tried to figure out what I lacked. On the other hand, my friends kept trying to cheer me up by telling that it will alright if I have to end up going to my normal high school. Little did they understand how much that reject meant to me. I literally went into a state of depression that I couldn’t get over for months. I usually am not such a philosophical person like Socrates or Aristotle who have studied life, yet the rejection taught me more lessons in life than I hoped for. Slowly, I began to realize that everything in life happens for a reason. I had to face reality no matter how hard it. Even though the academy meant the world to my sixteen-year-old heart, there are many more opportunities for a determined girl like me.