I overcame the stress of my hectic schedule

czin
Running from my varsity volleyball practice to my SAT class while juggling four AP classes above all else compounded the stress and pressure placed upon me. I felt as if I never had a free moment to have fun with my friends or simply watch TV on the couch. Former high school students have previously warned me about the difficulty and stress of one’s junior year in high school, but I never believed them until I faced it for myself. However, with perseverance and faith that everything will work out for the best, I was able to overcome the difficulties presented by my packed schedule.

Constantly busy without a minute to breathe, it seemed like I could not find a spare moment to relax. I hardly slept, completing homework assignments and studying for tests. During volleyball practice, I would worry about the test I had to study for immediately after a late practice. My body grew fatigue as three hours of practice drained the energy I once possessed. On weekends, I would spend my time studying for the SAT in between the time I spent on volunteer work. In order to combat these problems and burdens, I realized that everything I do is something that I have chosen to do, of course, with the exception of studying for the SAT. Instead of rushing each event in my schedule, I realized that if I just focused on one event at a time and enjoyed each one for what it is worth, the burden on my shoulders would began to ease.

Though living in the moment helped to relive some of my stress, it did not prove completely successful. Stress still built and the pressure accompanying my desire to receive straight A’s and succeed in my athletics was overwhelming. There were many times after a bad practice or after receiving a poor grade on a test that I felt like breaking down and crying. I felt as if all my efforts were worthless. With the guidance and support of my family, I realized that quitting the activities I loved to do, like my sports and volunteer work, would only leave me with regrets in the future.

My parents continue to tell me that hard work pays off and to never give up because everything will turn out for the best. With the stress and difficulties I faced, I never believed that those cliché sayings would prove true. It is only now that I truly believe that persevering will lead one towards a successful path. After continuing to work hard and pursue a successful future, I found myself rewarded when the Johns Hopkins volleyball coach offered me a spot on his team. I committed to play for him and had my college plans already set as a junior in high school. In order to overcome the stress associated with an insane schedule, it takes perseverance and determination. It takes time, but in the end, you will find yourself rewarded.