STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I overcame my dark demons

dmaesan09
Darkness consumed my life before and it will never do so again. The beginning days of my sophomore year were surely not a paved path for me to follow. I was taking my first AP class as well as other exceptionally difficult classes. Amidst all of my activities, it broke through and took me as victim to its tortures.
I began to have periods of time where I did not want to go anywhere and I did not want to eat. The feeling is indescribable and words escape me as I write this. It felt almost like the moment right before you are about to cry but you can’t. Under the weight of this cloud of depression, I began to burn myself convincing myself that my self-destructive actions was a form of coping and therefore should be acceptable. I did it once, paused for a time, and then began again. As my depression grew, so did my affirmation in self-harm. Burning myself created the one person I could turn to, myself. I was convinced I could trust no one with my secrets and I did not want anyone to see me in a tarnished light. I wore sweatshirts, bracelets, and long sleeved shirts to cover up my damaged wrists. I would put on a forced smile as I trudged on from class to class, club meeting to club meeting, and family meals to family meals.
My pain continued for a whole year only to be shattered by a single weekend. I had done all the “proper” Catholic parameters: all the sacraments, Sunday school, church every Sunday. But never had I experienced a personal and real connection to the very thing I was obliged to do. I attended a retreat with the other juniors of my church during March of this year, and at the nature surrounded camp is where my darkness was pierced by light. My personal meditation showed me how much God truly loves me and is hurting along with me in my struggle under depression. God became my source of escape instead of staying chained within my own self destructive prison. Instead of dreading the hassle of being pious, I have become spiritual, spiritual beyond the conventional church. Whenever I walk outside, instead of simply surviving each day, as dark and dreary as I had in the days of my depression, I see the beauty in life and how many things wait for me in my path ahead. I have forever sworn to never burn myself and vow to always expel my sadness through healthy and happy outlets through my sports, God, friends, and my favorite activities.
The path will never be paved and polished, but neither will it be as treacherous as the path I had taken before. Beyond God there are other forms of salvation for teens; sports, arts, hobbies, can act as the light in darkness and the smoother of roads for the paths in life that strengthen our will to live rather than survive.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy