I overcame failure

msmitty12
I Overcame Failure
My Cross Country season was a disappointment. I didn’t avoid or deny that truth. My coach had begun the year with high expectations; especially considering how well I performed sophomore year. But with the responsibility as a runner and team leader, I cracked under the pressure.
I began the season with an amazing race. Considering how hard I worked during the offseason I wasn’t surprised. My coach and friends were surprised and congratulated me, but I remained stoic. I hated praise because it just meant I would have even higher expectations for my next race. Expectations, responsibility… I hated both of those words. The reason I performed so well during my sophomore year was because of the lack of them. But as I grew older they became more and more evident. Looking back, I feel like my antipathy for responsibility played a vital role in my gradual downfall throughout the season. As soon as I got the smallest hint that people were depending on me, I wanted to fail so that the weight would be lifted off of my shoulders. So, that was the story of my season; gradual improvement until the fear of becoming great forced me back into my shell.
The following year started at the same pace. In fact, I had grown accustomed to the constant rise and fall of my motivation. But suddenly my mood changed. To this day I don’t know what caused my quick change of mindset, but some parallel events in my life must have set off a spark. No matter what the cause, I immediately became obsessed with success. My ambition was unmatched, and by the end of the season I was back to my peak.
Unfortunately, I didn’t learn any lessons from my experience. Unlike movies, life doesn’t always reveal a moral truth or bring about a new perspective of life that improves your personality. In reality, the random events that occur in your life steer you toward a unique finish. I overcame failure. But no matter what happened in my running experience, I would have overcome something. If I had continued to fail throughout the season, I would have overcome the binding hold of social pressure that had overwhelmed my mind. I would have been freed from the constant stress of responsibilities. My life didn’t turn out that way, and I don’t have an opinion on which ending I prefer. Perhaps the lesson is that no matter what, people always overcome an obstacle. The obstacle isn’t always an antagonist, it is just an intersection in the road of life.