STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I overcame failure

msmitty12
I Overcame Failure
My Cross Country season was a disappointment. I didn’t avoid or deny that truth. My coach had begun the year with high expectations; especially considering how well I performed sophomore year. But with the responsibility as a runner and team leader, I cracked under the pressure.
I began the season with an amazing race. Considering how hard I worked during the offseason I wasn’t surprised. My coach and friends were surprised and congratulated me, but I remained stoic. I hated praise because it just meant I would have even higher expectations for my next race. Expectations, responsibility… I hated both of those words. The reason I performed so well during my sophomore year was because of the lack of them. But as I grew older they became more and more evident. Looking back, I feel like my antipathy for responsibility played a vital role in my gradual downfall throughout the season. As soon as I got the smallest hint that people were depending on me, I wanted to fail so that the weight would be lifted off of my shoulders. So, that was the story of my season; gradual improvement until the fear of becoming great forced me back into my shell.
The following year started at the same pace. In fact, I had grown accustomed to the constant rise and fall of my motivation. But suddenly my mood changed. To this day I don’t know what caused my quick change of mindset, but some parallel events in my life must have set off a spark. No matter what the cause, I immediately became obsessed with success. My ambition was unmatched, and by the end of the season I was back to my peak.
Unfortunately, I didn’t learn any lessons from my experience. Unlike movies, life doesn’t always reveal a moral truth or bring about a new perspective of life that improves your personality. In reality, the random events that occur in your life steer you toward a unique finish. I overcame failure. But no matter what happened in my running experience, I would have overcome something. If I had continued to fail throughout the season, I would have overcome the binding hold of social pressure that had overwhelmed my mind. I would have been freed from the constant stress of responsibilities. My life didn’t turn out that way, and I don’t have an opinion on which ending I prefer. Perhaps the lesson is that no matter what, people always overcome an obstacle. The obstacle isn’t always an antagonist, it is just an intersection in the road of life.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy