I overcame coolness

rockon64
Through one’s high school career, chances are everyone will find some boy or girl they get absolutely hooked on. It is the hard reality of being a teenager and for most people, it sucks! My freshmen year I was a complete lady pleaser. Helped girls with homework, studying, went to the mall, hung out at each other’s houses, and talked/texted all the time. I was quiet a sad little boy.
I came into high school from being in private school my entire life. I didn’t know how to act around the stereotypical “public school boys”. Between never had cracked a sex joke or having any drug humor, I honestly felt lame around other guys. So, I found comfort and felt cool when I hung out with girls because I knew they wouldn’t judge me for being a “goody goody”. So that was my freshmen year, going to the movies with this girl, mall with this one, and dating as many girls as I could. It was my way of making myself feel cool. It was the only way I knew how to make myself feel cool.
Something changed in the first week of my 10th grade year. I was in an appointment with my I.B. guidance councilor and she asked me “How do you feel socially with the rest of the class?”. It was at that very second that I realized how sad and pathetic I was. I was trying to make myself feel cool because I honestly believed I had to be cool. Now, I could care less what people think about me. I spend my days hanging with my close group of mature friends and concentrate more on my grades. Whenever someone has the guts to get in my face and make fun of me, I just use some big words they have no clue what they mean and they leave me alone. There has only been one time in high school where I had to actually get physical with someone to get them to leave me alone. He thought I wouldn’t react when he tripped me while I was walking (me and him had previous altercations in the past). He never bugged me again.
I’ve realized a lot about myself in high school. Being cool is only an opinion! I simply am nice to my teachers, have a circle of close friends, get decent grades, and it’s enough for me.
Comment by helmicho

I attended private schools for a large portion of my life also, I finally entered the public school system when we grew tired with the administration at my last private school. I almost didn't say a word my first year at a public school, one time I actually did talk and someone was like, "Wait, you can talk?" Since then I have been able to stay a good kid without out once uttering a cuss word or sex joke, and have never joined in a conversation that is along those lines. My friends respect me for my beliefs, and I have never had a problem. I concentrate on school, sports, and band a lot because these things are going to have to be my tickets to college. I have never had a kid ask to date me that I actually would accept, so I don't have the stress of dating or just hanging out on my mind, though I have to admit that there is one kid that I like even though I should not be diverting my attention from my studies for a reason like this. Overall, I am glad to see that I'm not the only one out there who has attended a private school and then felt awkward when attending a public school.
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2011 11:27:05 PM