Media: The Center of my Life

dreamshot15
Aysha Sikder

Media: The Center of my life

Living in New York City, the largest media center, media has been a part of me since birth. I’ve been exposed to many kinds of media. Some types of media are television, magazines, and even cell phones. However, one kind of media I can never live without is the internet. To be more specific I would be very upset not to have facebook. Facebook is a social networking palace. Facebook is where people communicate using chat, post all their thoughts, and even upload their photos. Personally I use facebook for mostly chatting with my friends and far away relatives. At school I don’t speak very much and I don’t socialize very much. Therefore, I use facebook to socialize. My mom usually thinks that I am on facebook instead of doing my work. Whenever I am on the computer, my mother infers that I am on facebook. Sometimes she even tries to find an excuse so she can look at what I am doing. However, I proved to her that facebook is not the dominant over me. Therefore, I only go on facebook when I am done with my work. At first when I found out about facebook, I was very uncomfortable with it. I thought that I shouldn’t have one. However, not soon after I realized that I might have to get one in order to communicate with my far away relatives. My cousins, uncles, and aunts live in Italy. Due to their work schedule they don’t have the time to call. As a result, I made a facebook account in order to commune. The second day I logged into facebook and I had more than fifty friend requests. I was surprised by the number of people I knew on facebook. I only accept people that I know. As of right now I have more than 300 friends on facebook. I abruptly realized that this was my place to be. After this discovery I checked facebook at least once a week. My friends keep me occupied and entertained. One day I thought “Why don’t I keep track of the number of times I login to facebook in a month”. For the first month it was 7 times a month. During the second month, it decreased to 5 times a month. Then on the 6th month it went up to 10 times that month. After my mom realized what was happening, she was very proud of me for keeping myself in place instead of dazing of on facebook all the time. The internet is the most impactful type of media in my life. Facebook isn’t the only website I go on during my internet time. I visit many websites like yahoo.com, youtube.com, or even rhymezone.com. However, according to the data I pulled up about myself, I spend the most time on facebook than these other accounts. Consequently, facebook is the most impactful source of media in my life.