Media: I Don’t Know, Google it

Nova12
Who decided Justin Bieber is in? Vampires are hot? Obama is a terrorist? Some people are naïve enough to think that you alone affect how you see the world. They say things like “I like Justin Bieber because he is a talented musician.” Or “Obama doesn’t have a birth certificate.” But the thing I hear them saying the most is “Vampires Suck!”
Media affects everyone. If someone denies that fact, some form of media probably influenced them to believe that media isn’t influencing. It’s not an argument any more, it's obvious. Just look at what Jersey Shore has done to the art of dance. I mean, really, “fist pumping”? The question that now faces us and, more importantly, companies with billions in advertising dollars is: which form of media impacts our lives the most?
The easy answer is Facebook and Twitter. They’re new and shiny and no one really knows what they are capable of, so they assume they’re capable of everything. I, on the other hand, have not forgotten MySpace. But, actually, I have forgotten MySpace, haven't you? Social networking will move on in time to reflect what society wants, probably a form of communication that is even less human. Social networking is impacted by society, not the other way around.
TV and movies do undoubtedly impact us. After all, who hasn’t watched four straight hours of NCIS? Without TV and three-hour movies like Avatar, the world would certainly be more productive. We would study for that History test, hang out with our families, and clean the house instead of watching Glee. Yes, TV and movies influence how we think and, yes, the main reason I want an iPad so bad is because the commercials are so cool. Still, I have watch hundreds of House episodes and I can remember only a few of the patients. Things in TV and movies have stickiness factors that you sometimes remember but, overall, it doesn’t stick. The main impact is a waste of time.
I Googled "What form of media impacts your life the most, and why?" and the first result was this writing contest. Above that on the top left hand comer of the page the word Google was still there. How many times a day does the average person use Google? I ask Google. The first link redirected me to Yahoo! Answers, where a very reliable source, go4packers, told me “I do a Google search about 10-12 times a day.” Ten to twelve times a day. There are months I don’t go to the movies, weeks I don’t watch TV, and days when I don’t go on Twitter or Facebook but Google is as much a part of my daily routine as brushing my teeth or being influenced by media. Google is the media that impacts our lives the most because it shows us the media we want to be impacted by. Without Google how would we know who is dating Justin Bieber? How would I write this essay?