STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Marriage: Overrated, and Yet Something Beautiful

genesisnirvana
Young girls always have that dream of finding their Prince Charming, marrying him, and riding off into the sunset. However, reality soon sets in, and they realize that what you see on TV and in the movies is completely different from real life. When I was younger, I wanted that dream, but the older I got, the more my perspective on things especially marriage changed. I wish I could say that marriage is not overrated, that there is still some value left in marriage, but the rising divorce rates beg to differ. According to Jennifer Baker of the Forest Institute of Professional Psychology, the current divorce rates are of the following: 50% of first marriages, 67% of second marriages, and 74% of third marriages end in divorce. Why are these percentages so high? In my opinion, it’s because people do not understand the true meaning of marriage.

To me marriage simply means that as you’re saying those vows, you’re also listening to them. “For better, for worse, for richer, and for poorer, as long as you both shall live”. The vows are not being taken seriously, and that is one the main reasons that divorce rates are so high. Most states require that in order to be married, both parties have to be 18 years to be married without parental consent, 16 years old with the consent of parents, and 14 years old with a court order. I find that to be completely unbelievable and borderline ridiculous. When we’re young, we think we know what we want, but in reality we almost never do. We believe we’re in love, but it’s simply infatuation. Therefore 14 and 16 year olds do not have the level of maturity it takes to be married. Do I think that marriage is becoming overrated? Yes, I do, there are too many high expectations being held, and people are disappointed, when marriage is not what they expected.

Living together before marriage is a brilliant idea. Couples get a taste of what it feels like to be married without actually being married. More marriages would be able to survive if more partners realized that sometimes the better comes after the worse, and living together will get people the opportunity, to understand that. Me personally, I don’t plan on getting married, mainly because I don’t feel like I am ready for all that commitment. There’s an urge to find the perfect man when we should be more focused on finding ourselves, and the right man for us. Until I feel like I have truly found that, I will strongly remain on the belief that marriage is not for me.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy