Marriage: Overrated, and Yet Something Beautiful

genesisnirvana
Young girls always have that dream of finding their Prince Charming, marrying him, and riding off into the sunset. However, reality soon sets in, and they realize that what you see on TV and in the movies is completely different from real life. When I was younger, I wanted that dream, but the older I got, the more my perspective on things especially marriage changed. I wish I could say that marriage is not overrated, that there is still some value left in marriage, but the rising divorce rates beg to differ. According to Jennifer Baker of the Forest Institute of Professional Psychology, the current divorce rates are of the following: 50% of first marriages, 67% of second marriages, and 74% of third marriages end in divorce. Why are these percentages so high? In my opinion, it’s because people do not understand the true meaning of marriage.

To me marriage simply means that as you’re saying those vows, you’re also listening to them. “For better, for worse, for richer, and for poorer, as long as you both shall live”. The vows are not being taken seriously, and that is one the main reasons that divorce rates are so high. Most states require that in order to be married, both parties have to be 18 years to be married without parental consent, 16 years old with the consent of parents, and 14 years old with a court order. I find that to be completely unbelievable and borderline ridiculous. When we’re young, we think we know what we want, but in reality we almost never do. We believe we’re in love, but it’s simply infatuation. Therefore 14 and 16 year olds do not have the level of maturity it takes to be married. Do I think that marriage is becoming overrated? Yes, I do, there are too many high expectations being held, and people are disappointed, when marriage is not what they expected.

Living together before marriage is a brilliant idea. Couples get a taste of what it feels like to be married without actually being married. More marriages would be able to survive if more partners realized that sometimes the better comes after the worse, and living together will get people the opportunity, to understand that. Me personally, I don’t plan on getting married, mainly because I don’t feel like I am ready for all that commitment. There’s an urge to find the perfect man when we should be more focused on finding ourselves, and the right man for us. Until I feel like I have truly found that, I will strongly remain on the belief that marriage is not for me.