STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Marriage: The Wedding Words

kinzie52
Dear, well, you:

If you're anything like me, seventeen and trying to figure out what the rest of your life is going to look like, chances are you're thinking about me too. Sometimes I write these little letters, planning to give them to you on the night we go home together for the first time. I'll have a shoe box lost amidst the pile of wedding gifts, brimming with the tokens I've saved just to be able to give them away.
When I think of marriage, I think of a promise. I promise to take you to have and to hold, for richer or poorer, for better or for worse, in sickness and in health, until death do us part. Within that little shoe box I'll toss the band I wear upon my finger, the ring that reminds me I've given you a promise. I save myself out of respect to you, all to let you know I will dedicate my heart, body and mind to the unit we’ll commit ourselves to making. 1 Thessalonians 4:3 will be my backbone until the day you can hold my ring in your own fingers.
And then I think about the journey. The route, the storms, the struggles and rewards. Some will be tangible, and some will be for us to feel. A home, your hand, a paycheck. A word, a thought, an emotion. If you come home angry, I promise to love you. If you shake me away by the heat of the moment, I promise to keep you. And if you leave yourself vulnerable to me, I promise to remain open for you. In that moment where it’s you and me exchanging our weddings words, your mom in the front row and mine probably emptying the boxes of tissues, we’re voicing commitment. We’re binding you and me together to make a whole, and it both frightens and comforts me. But you are worth it, worthy of both our future battles and future miracles.
When I write these letters, it’s often because I’m wrestling the toils of my life and everyone in it. The stress from college applications, an argument with my best friend, and even that fervent desire just to love and be loved. I write when I’m lonely, but I’m writing to you. I promise to cross bridges together and even to apologize after my long stretch of emotional girl tantrums. Buy me chocolate once a month and hey, I’m all yours. And when we’re done kicking everybody out of the reception party ( if we do decide to throw one ) I promise to give you this little shoe box full of memoirs: The ring, pictures of me as I go throughout this complicated thing called life, all of my letters and everything that rightfully belongs to you.
I’m promising to do life with you. And the value we’ll find in our journey, not just our wedding words, will always be enough.

Yours excitedly, Mckinzie.
Rate this:
Comment by jwaicberg

this is really good. i really liked how you wrote this in letter format to "you"
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 9:23:09 PM
Rate this:
Comment by tieabest

Whoa, you are an extremely good writer... I though this was super creative and pure poetry to read. I hope you realize how talented you truly are and continue writing.
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 10:25:52 PM
Rate this:
Comment by purpleoveralls

i love this! letters to a future husband is a marvelous idea.
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 7:19:25 AM
Rate this:
Comment by casbar23

I really liked how you made it so personal! I never would have thought of that :)
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 9:51:07 PM
Rate this:
Comment by kinzie52

thanks so much dude! i needed to hear the compliments more than you know!
Posted: Tuesday, March 1, 2011 1:48:29 AM
Rate this:
Comment by DarkStar49

Wow! Your essay was profound and enlightening to read. The essay itself had great structure and serious meaning and emotion in the words. You did a great job Mckinzie! Good luck with the contest and to the future.
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 7:24:26 PM
Rate this:
Comment by bugcandy

I wanted to let you know that your essay for our February writing contest about marriage was one of the finalists. Megan, our PR Coordinator, will be in touch with you (if she hasn't already) via email.

We'll be announcing the winner later today or tomorrow. I personally look forward to seeing more of your essays/writing on StageofLife.com.

Thanks for sharing your point of view with us!

Yours,

Eric
Presient & CEO, StageofLife.com

P.s. Did you enter the current student writing contest?
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 4:37:28 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy