Marriage: The Wedding Words

kinzie52
Dear, well, you:

If you're anything like me, seventeen and trying to figure out what the rest of your life is going to look like, chances are you're thinking about me too. Sometimes I write these little letters, planning to give them to you on the night we go home together for the first time. I'll have a shoe box lost amidst the pile of wedding gifts, brimming with the tokens I've saved just to be able to give them away.
When I think of marriage, I think of a promise. I promise to take you to have and to hold, for richer or poorer, for better or for worse, in sickness and in health, until death do us part. Within that little shoe box I'll toss the band I wear upon my finger, the ring that reminds me I've given you a promise. I save myself out of respect to you, all to let you know I will dedicate my heart, body and mind to the unit we’ll commit ourselves to making. 1 Thessalonians 4:3 will be my backbone until the day you can hold my ring in your own fingers.
And then I think about the journey. The route, the storms, the struggles and rewards. Some will be tangible, and some will be for us to feel. A home, your hand, a paycheck. A word, a thought, an emotion. If you come home angry, I promise to love you. If you shake me away by the heat of the moment, I promise to keep you. And if you leave yourself vulnerable to me, I promise to remain open for you. In that moment where it’s you and me exchanging our weddings words, your mom in the front row and mine probably emptying the boxes of tissues, we’re voicing commitment. We’re binding you and me together to make a whole, and it both frightens and comforts me. But you are worth it, worthy of both our future battles and future miracles.
When I write these letters, it’s often because I’m wrestling the toils of my life and everyone in it. The stress from college applications, an argument with my best friend, and even that fervent desire just to love and be loved. I write when I’m lonely, but I’m writing to you. I promise to cross bridges together and even to apologize after my long stretch of emotional girl tantrums. Buy me chocolate once a month and hey, I’m all yours. And when we’re done kicking everybody out of the reception party ( if we do decide to throw one ) I promise to give you this little shoe box full of memoirs: The ring, pictures of me as I go throughout this complicated thing called life, all of my letters and everything that rightfully belongs to you.
I’m promising to do life with you. And the value we’ll find in our journey, not just our wedding words, will always be enough.

Yours excitedly, Mckinzie.
Comment by jwaicberg

this is really good. i really liked how you wrote this in letter format to "you"
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 9:23:09 PM
Comment by tieabest

Whoa, you are an extremely good writer... I though this was super creative and pure poetry to read. I hope you realize how talented you truly are and continue writing.
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 10:25:52 PM
Comment by purpleoveralls

i love this! letters to a future husband is a marvelous idea.
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 7:19:25 AM
Comment by casbar23

I really liked how you made it so personal! I never would have thought of that :)
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 9:51:07 PM
Comment by kinzie52

thanks so much dude! i needed to hear the compliments more than you know!
Posted: Tuesday, March 1, 2011 1:48:29 AM

Wow! Your essay was profound and enlightening to read. The essay itself had great structure and serious meaning and emotion in the words. You did a great job Mckinzie! Good luck with the contest and to the future.
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 7:24:26 PM
Comment by bugcandy

I wanted to let you know that your essay for our February writing contest about marriage was one of the finalists. Megan, our PR Coordinator, will be in touch with you (if she hasn't already) via email.

We'll be announcing the winner later today or tomorrow. I personally look forward to seeing more of your essays/writing on StageofLife.com.

Thanks for sharing your point of view with us!

Yours,

Eric
Presient & CEO, StageofLife.com

P.s. Did you enter the current student writing contest?
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 4:37:28 PM