Teacher Appreciation: Space Oddity

Coltonlapp
Big brown eyes, long black hair, and a boyish smile that revealed nothing but contentment; Ken had the disposition of young child who could see nothing but good in the world. Wearing black skinny jeans with a guitar strung around his shoulder, I saw him walk up to my door and ring the bell, just like he did every Tuesday night for my lesson.

The first thing I noticed about Ken was that he laughed at everything. I don't think he found everything people said to be funny, but he just liked the positive feelings that laughter brought into the world. His laugh was more of a giggle, and most of the time it was directed at himself.

The more guitar lessons I took with Ken, the more comfortable we got with each other. There was a constant excitement between us, like the way a cliffhanger at the end of a chapter leaves you yearning for more. His entire world was music, and he saw his students as another way to experience the absolute rush of discovering the magic that he lived for. He just wanted to give other people the same happiness he had gotten; It was always about the experience of discovering music.
I remember one afternoon, I told him that I had just heard a cool new song- "Creep" by Radiohead. His eyes lit up, and he immediately started to tell me about how he grew up listening to Radiohead, how they were one of the defining bands of the 90's and how amazing their concert had been. The next week, he showed up with a handful of CD's at my door. He gave me all of his old copies of Radiohead CD's from when he was young. Those CD's are still on my table nightstand, 3 years after I moved away from the house I used to live at.

Although me and Ken don't have lessons anymore, we still talk on the phone and we catch up in person when I go to visit. He helps me find the best deals for guitar equipment on craigslist, searching the website in his free time free of charge. One time, we were discussing whether or not I should invest in an expensive amp, or buy cheap one to bide my time until I got more serious with the guitar.
"Well, a cheap amp will hold you over for now, but it won't be long before you'll be wanting to trade up for a better sound. Obviously, this is something you're going to be doing for the rest of your life..."
And then his voice kind of trailed off, and we shared a moment of closeness I have not felt with many people. We were two people, completely different in every way possible, yet completely connected by a simple passion for music. And in that moment I knew that this man and his passion would stay with me forever.