Teacher Appreciation: Learning How to Talk Normally

Kuhaku
I was a shy kid who was unable to communicate with words. All that really came out of my mouth was answers for class, jokes for friends, and burps for fun. I never was able to actually carry a conversation. Then I met Mr. Fairweather.
Technically the first time I ever met him was when he was a substitute teacher for my pre-algebra class. I don’t remember what we learned but I remember this one pun he told. I was sniffing in my snot like any other sixth grade boy and he responds to my childish action by saying, “What happens when your nose runs and your feet smell… You are upside down”. In my head, I was thinking what a weird guy and then returned to math.
Then I had him the next year as a teacher for Logic and Reasoning. He was still spouting his corny jokes every now and then while we played chess, completed logic puzzles, and watched Star Trek. The nerd, I am, was puzzled and amazed that someone who could be a nerd and outspoken. At the time, I was sort of following the stereotypes of the television shows I watched, and kept shut about it. Mr. Fairweather broke those stereotypes every class and I felt better about being a nerd and started to hold a conversation a little more.
I was lucky the next year since I was able to have him as my U.S. history teacher. I expected him to teach very differently about the boring subject of history compared to the fun elective, but his teaching style didn’t really change. Sure there was things to memorize and different worksheets, but the corny jokes and the passion he had for the subject didn’t change. He always found cool ways to teach the class, whether it is through a newspaper ball war, an exploration of the campus, or the Bee Gees. He also told many interesting facts that practically burned into my cerebrum. He always found a way to teach the class in a memorable way. Once he grabbed three of us before class and made us do an impromptu skit. What I took from all of this was not only history, but also the fact that its possible to be passionate about anything and that is fine.
The fact that it was cool to know all the interesting facts about a topic and just geek out about it pushed me to talk about it with my friends. That’s when I found my best friends that I still hang out with today. Before that, my friends consisted of who was in class with me and who ate lunch with me. Now my friends are people that hold interest with me because I geeked out with them and was not afraid of judgment.