Teacher Appreciation: Where She Finds Her Self Worth

Shardae
“A woman completes life and should never be put down. Yes. You may not be a woman yet but you are a female. You’re a young lady. Some may say a soon-to-be woman. Now is the time that you should find your worth and self-love and appreciate it.” She held me after class. She said it was important that she talked to me.

“How can I do that when every other day I hear someone degrading me Mrs. Pat? I do nothing but look out for everyone and all I get back is disrespect. It’s tiring and now I just really … want to give up. It’s not fair.” I stared at her after wiping my eyes not wanting to let my tears fall.

“Go over to that table and get a piece of paper and pen. I want you to write a page essay explaining 3 things.” I did as she asked and sat back at my desk. She grabbed a marker and wrote three sentences on the board.

What makes you different from everyone else?
What do you see in yourself?
Do you believe in yourself and in your abilities?

“Go home. You are far too beautiful to be in such a impaired relationship with anyone. Let go of all of the bad that has made you think that you’re not such. I’m not trying to control your life. I am simply trying to guide you into a world filled with change and peace. It is not wrong to be selfish Shar. Look out for yourself for once.” I took her words in and finally got my things, ready to go home.

Since I was younger someone had always found a flaw in me. Someone always made it clear that I wasn't all that great. Some adults talked about the way I would speak or say that I was too loud. Young boys would make fun of my acne and females would try to fight me because they said that I thought that I was ‘all that’. Usually I would try to ignore it but sooner or later it took a toll on my self-esteem. Family and friends did this. With the help of Mrs. Pat I learned that no could define who I was. No one should have had that power over me. She has impacted my life in such a way and I thank GOD for her every day. She was a great teacher actually. She cared a lot about us children. She’s most definitely isn't getting the recognition that she deserves. Mrs. Pat is the perfect definition for a great teacher. She is not a teacher because she works in a school and demands students to memorize work. Although she has taught before she’s a counselor. She’s a great teacher because she has taught me that not everyone is going to appreciate me and the things that I do for them. She has helped me realize that I can’t let what other say affect my life.