Teacher Appreciation: My Written "Thank You"

dreaminvaderzoe
I am diagnosed with Asperger’s syndrome. This causes me to see and hear things differently in both literal and sentimental ways; everything I see, smell, hear and touch through my over-sensitive senses could bring out connections and feelings from deep inside of me. I learned to cover all those overwhelming emotions with a rather distraught look; an odd mask to hide the fear in my eyes.

Ms Michelle had the power of pulling away that mask, encouraging me to peek out tentatively from my protection.

My love for writing and the playing of words was brought up and nurtured by Ms Michelle, who is my tutor. She has been teaching me since I was 5, when my parents finally realized there was something that was not quite right about me and kept me home. Ms Michelle offered to build the bridge between the outside reality and me, so that some day I'd be capable of handling all the sensitivity I was born with. The very first thing she taught me was how to express myself with words.

Every day, Ms Michelle would make me write at least one simple sentence about how I felt. And as time went by, my sentences gradually grew into long, flowing essays that Ms Michelle would read patiently.

She became my diary-grader, if there is such an occupation.

"It takes a mad scientist to make his students learn to love science," Ms Michelle always said. It was true, as Ms Michelle was just as passionate as I am, if not more, when it comes to writing. I used to dig out her files under the desk she worked on, which were filled with poems and songs she wrote. I sat for hours reading and admiring the ambiguous meanings of the lyrics. It filled me with an unknown sense of satisfaction each time I read a quote written by her; it was as if her words opened my eyes. I was introduced to the wonderful world of writing, and I was more than willing to be able to write like her; the grace and easy way her words flowed from ink onto paper was magical.

I remember the day when Ms Michelle's father passed away. I was 8. It was the first time I saw the strong wall of hers crack a little.

She was trying her best to smile at me. Her smile didn't reach her red-rimmed eyes.

She squatted down to my height when she saw me. "I thought I was too old to cry out of sadness," she sniffed, "I thought I was old enough to cry out of happiness."

I never forgot how those words made an impact on my youthful mind; neither did I ever forget anything she has taught me.

She taught me how to relish my emotions on paper instead of bottling up everything inside like a normal Aspie would.

Ms Michelle saved me. And I’m here to thank her, using words that I could never say using my mouth.

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your May 2015 Teacher Appreciation Essay being selected as one of our top 11 finalists. Our editors are currently working on choosing the first place essay.

We will post all winning essay results by June 30th. You can check this page for the results after June 30th:

Posted: Monday, June 8, 2015 10:51:47 PM

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your May 2015 Teacher Appreciation Essay being selected as our 2nd place essay.

Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2015 8:00:04 PM

Hi! We wanted to let you know that we have created the Teen Trend Report for the Teacher Appreciation writing contest. Feel free to check it out and share it with friends, family and the teacher you wrote about in your winning essay.

http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandTeacherAppreciation.aspx

Thanks again for sharing your story with the world!

- Rebecca
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2015 3:18:46 PM