STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Teacher Appreciation: My Written "Thank You"

dreaminvaderzoe
I am diagnosed with Asperger’s syndrome. This causes me to see and hear things differently in both literal and sentimental ways; everything I see, smell, hear and touch through my over-sensitive senses could bring out connections and feelings from deep inside of me. I learned to cover all those overwhelming emotions with a rather distraught look; an odd mask to hide the fear in my eyes.

Ms Michelle had the power of pulling away that mask, encouraging me to peek out tentatively from my protection.

My love for writing and the playing of words was brought up and nurtured by Ms Michelle, who is my tutor. She has been teaching me since I was 5, when my parents finally realized there was something that was not quite right about me and kept me home. Ms Michelle offered to build the bridge between the outside reality and me, so that some day I'd be capable of handling all the sensitivity I was born with. The very first thing she taught me was how to express myself with words.

Every day, Ms Michelle would make me write at least one simple sentence about how I felt. And as time went by, my sentences gradually grew into long, flowing essays that Ms Michelle would read patiently.

She became my diary-grader, if there is such an occupation.

"It takes a mad scientist to make his students learn to love science," Ms Michelle always said. It was true, as Ms Michelle was just as passionate as I am, if not more, when it comes to writing. I used to dig out her files under the desk she worked on, which were filled with poems and songs she wrote. I sat for hours reading and admiring the ambiguous meanings of the lyrics. It filled me with an unknown sense of satisfaction each time I read a quote written by her; it was as if her words opened my eyes. I was introduced to the wonderful world of writing, and I was more than willing to be able to write like her; the grace and easy way her words flowed from ink onto paper was magical.

I remember the day when Ms Michelle's father passed away. I was 8. It was the first time I saw the strong wall of hers crack a little.

She was trying her best to smile at me. Her smile didn't reach her red-rimmed eyes.

She squatted down to my height when she saw me. "I thought I was too old to cry out of sadness," she sniffed, "I thought I was old enough to cry out of happiness."

I never forgot how those words made an impact on my youthful mind; neither did I ever forget anything she has taught me.

She taught me how to relish my emotions on paper instead of bottling up everything inside like a normal Aspie would.

Ms Michelle saved me. And I’m here to thank her, using words that I could never say using my mouth.
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your May 2015 Teacher Appreciation Essay being selected as one of our top 11 finalists. Our editors are currently working on choosing the first place essay.

We will post all winning essay results by June 30th. You can check this page for the results after June 30th:
http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests/WritingContestWinners.aspx

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment with the world.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
StageofLife.com Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Monday, June 8, 2015 10:51:47 PM
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your May 2015 Teacher Appreciation Essay being selected as our 2nd place essay.

We will post all winning essay results by June 30th. You can check this page for the results after June 30th:
http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests/WritingContestWinners.aspx

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment with the world.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2015 8:00:04 PM
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

Hi! We wanted to let you know that we have created the Teen Trend Report for the Teacher Appreciation writing contest. Feel free to check it out and share it with friends, family and the teacher you wrote about in your winning essay.

http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandTeacherAppreciation.aspx

Thanks again for sharing your story with the world!

- Rebecca
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2015 3:18:46 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy