Weather: An Uncertainty

Dante Zumbo
One of the most notable things about weather is a level of uncertainty. Many documents concerning events contain the contingency "weather permitting." This is not only because of the inability to predict the weather, but because of the great variety in which the weather can come. If we needed to predict the weather given a list of 5 potential conditions the atmosphere could possibly conjure up, with their level of probability, predicting the weather would be so much easier. But because of the great number of combinations of atmospheric conditions there is a massive uncertainty. The weather is also unpredictable because, with all those potential outcomes, there are complicated factors. We learn about the water cycle in elementary school. We learn about pressure systems and atmospheric and ocean currents a bit later. All of these are simple concepts. So why are they not easily predictable? Again, because of such a wide spectrum of measurement, and also, such a constant change in these factors. I believe this gives us an insight into social interactions. A human has so many factors that we can't usually predict them. They are biological and neurological principles that are simple, yet we can't tell what a person is thinking without them telling us. And this is because of one factor of both the weather and people that I have not listed yet. The nonphysical components. In weather it is the arbitrariness that makes the difference between a predictable cycle of precipitation and weather. In the same way, it is the personable, nonphysical mind of a human that makes the difference between a human and a person. So next time you look up into the troposphere and wonder what you can learn about it, remember to ask yourself what it can teach you about you and the people around you.