Unsung Hero: My mom

Sam Maddock
Sam Maddock
Mrs. Flesch
College Reading and Writing
29 January 2015
Unsung Heroes: My Mom
Often in the news on TV we see soldiers being rewarded for acts of bravery or a random citizen doing some miraculous heroic act, but many heroes are never noticed. Some heroes do great things for people every day and are never rewarded or recognized. Many people devote their lives to being unsung heroes just because they love helping others. My mom is an example of an unsung hero for how much she does for me and a lot of other kids.
My mom has been a nurse for eighteen years; before that she did social work with homeless families. As a nurse she has been in pediatrics for five years, pediatric intensive care unit for six years, and she is now an operating room circulating nurse. She has devoted a large portion of her life to helping sick kids get better and has made a big impact on many people’s lives. Some days she wakes up before the sun rises and doesn’t get home until after the sun sets. Before she became a nurse she worked for Saint Catherine’s Center for Children in Albany, New York helping homeless families.
My mom is also a hero to me in many ways, and while I do thank her a lot, I don’t thank her enough. Every day she helps me by getting a set of school clothes ironed ready for the next day and I never even ask her to. She has also helped me in countless situations when I needed someone’s help and no one was there. She motivates me to try hard in school and keeps me on track by telling me about the future I could have if I work hard in school. Without her support I don’t know where I would be. She is very forgiving when I forget to do something or do something wrong. Most nights she cooks the family dinner, sometimes after she has worked all day.
She likes being close to families she has dealt with at her work. Once, about a year ago there was a small child that was about three months old that was very sick in her hospital. She met this child’s older brother, Isaiah, and his family who was struggling to pay rent and buy goods for the family in a small home in Jupiter, Florida. Every day at work for about two weeks my mom would talk to Isaiah and his family and grew close with them. The child did not get better and passed away and my mom was very sad for a long time. A couple times my mom invited Isaiah and his family over to our house and we made them food. I became friends with Isaiah, he really needed a good friend at that time in his life. My mom did everything she could to make the family happier and help them out. She did it out of love and compassion for the family, not for herself.
My mom is a hero for many reasons, and like many other moms she does many things that go unnoticed. She does countless things every day for others and doesn’t mind if they know it or not, she does it just to make others’ lives better. She has helped a lot of people get healthy, and has gotten to know many families and kids. She has been thanked a lot, but still not enough. The things she does every day that have huge impacts on people’s lives often go unnoticed, which is why she is my unsung hero.