Unsung Hero

Hafsa123
They fly, swoop low, rescue a poor damsel in distress or confused, wailing child and resurface to applause by awe-inspired witnesses. To us, the picture set thus has been formulated simply to show what the definition of ‘hero’ is according to a billion people and what is considered as an act worthy of hero worship.
I beg to differ.
My life has been a rollercoaster, to start with. I have had my high and lows but I never thought about it till a great tragedy struck me dumb. I was emotionally decapitated and naturally went with gushing tears in the arms of solace only found in the ones whose veins have the same blood darting through it- my family.
Often taken to discredit, the family is what is there for you in times when you need them only to be taken for granted. Oh of course they’ll be there for you! They’re family.
I went through a typical heartbreak. Typical in the sense that many girls have gone through similar situations but it was different in the point that my relationship with ‘him’ had been legalized. When you consider someone as The One, it’s so hard to alter one’s feelings about him despite all.
I clamored back to my family. I cried. I howled. I threw myself in a box. I felt suffocated and didn’t think life would change.
It did change.
They laughed and wrenched my fingers slowly off the side of the box I clung to. I had to let go but I wouldn’t have- couldn’t have- if it weren’t for their constant struggle alongside. I think back to the time when it hurt most. I saw my sister bawling her eyes out like she was the one with the arrow-struck heart. I looked at my dad, his face red, his quiet upset. I looked at my mom, who lay in bed with stricken sorrow. I looked at my eight year old brother who constantly cupped his hands in prayer for me. Then I felt the ringing of my phone, my elder brother plotting to kill whoever hurt me like ‘the one’ did.
My uncle flew all the way in a matter of two days and came to console me, six in the morning. It felt as if I wasn’t the one with the tattered heart but several people living the ache through me. The divided pain made mine considerably less and I slowly felt myself gaining composure. It felt beautiful knowing that I was not alone.
These people rescued me from the demons in my attic and bore the burden of my skeletons till it jangled to non-existence. These people united into one entire form against the storm. At that state of deplorable crisis, they were not six people to me, but one. They were to me like Superman was to Lois Lane. They were not six separate heroes but constituted a single hero- an unsung one.