Food for Thought: Chili and Mashed Potatoes

LaughingJack4
Food is an important part of life; but I have very little memories centered on a certain food. But there is a couple dishes I love – my grandmother’s chili and her mashed potatoes.
I don’t know why I love it so much but her mashed potatoes are the best. I guess it’s because I can imagine her and my mom making it together, using the old bowl they use every year. The old hand mixer that has been used since I was born. The small kitchen in the old trailer full of children running around, dogs barking. Maybe it’s the thought of a beautiful sunset in the middle of nowhere, at the top of the hill, the big Oak tree at the end of the long driveway losing its leaves. It could also be the buttery potatoes that only she can make. Either way, I love the amazing potatoes that fills my up with warmth and hope.
Now, her chili is the best. I don’t know how she makes it. I don’t even know if my mom makes it the same way. All I know, is that it is the best. Whenever we go to her house, we usually have it. See, she makes it a special way. And we usually add some stuff to our own bowl. My favorite is sugar. My grandparent’s house is the only place I have ever added sugar to chili, and it’s the best thing ever. I love her chili, because it makes me think of my grandfather and the entire family being together. It just gives me good feelings and makes me thankful for my life and my family. Same with the mashed potatoes. Good feelings.